My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just plain not going to run the 500+ pound "bolster buster" 2 stage Bolens blower on my large frames. Has anyone come up with an alternate brand that is lighter and can be modified to work? I found a 48" belt drive craftsman, but it spins in the wrong direction-- on top of needing to be converted to shaft drive. Only way I see to do that is with a cost prohibitive direction reversing reduction gearbox. Any ideas?

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
175 Posts
Cost prohibitive seems to be the key. 3 point blowers spin the right way, but are usually for a lower rpm setup, requiring some type of gearing reduction. Also heavy.

I've seen a few videos of Bercomac blowers set up for Bolens. If I was going to do it, I'd plan on using either an Ariens or Berco blower. I went as far as pricing a 48" Berco unit, but yeah, after converting, it was too much to be worth it.

My dad used the 42" single stage with the wings on his HT-20 for 40 years. A baler belt impeller kit and a gearing change would probably be effective enough to make that a viable option for a lighter but powerful setup.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cost prohibitive seems to be the key. 3 point blowers spin the right way, but are usually for a lower rpm setup, requiring some type of gearing reduction. Also heavy.

I've seen a few videos of Bercomac blowers set up for Bolens. If I was going to do it, I'd plan on using either an Ariens or Berco blower. I went as far as pricing a 48" Berco unit, but yeah, after converting, it was too much to be worth it.

My dad used the 42" single stage with the wings on his HT-20 for 40 years. A baler belt impeller kit and a gearing change would probably be effective enough to make that a viable option for a lighter but powerful setup.
I've got the singles set up on a couple of my large frames. They do the job. Just getting a bit of the "Tim The Tool Man Taylor" urge for more power! lol Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
985 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but on the LF tractors, when looking at the pto from the front, it spins clockwise, correct? Then this kubota could be made to work. By the style of worm drive, it is by RAD tech. in Quebec. They also make them for Bolens, Honda, and others. Easiest way to tell is look at the worm drive, they use the same one on most of the 2 stage blowers.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/fredericton/kubota-bx2750-front-snowblower-for-b-series-or-bx-tractor/1323783067?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct me if I am wrong, but on the LF tractors, when looking at the pto from the front, it spins clockwise, correct? Then this kubota could be made to work. By the style of worm drive, it is by RAD tech. in Quebec. They also make them for Bolens, Honda, and others. Easiest way to tell is look at the worm drive, they use the same one on most of the 2 stage blowers.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/fredericton/kubota-bx2750-front-snowblower-for-b-series-or-bx-tractor/1323783067?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
That Kubota blower would dang near bolt right up and only weighs 200 pounds. Biggest problem is the $2000+ price tag. The older model built for Bolens, (mentioned above) is the 500+ pound monster that I am avoiding. I went with the Agri-fab unit, also Canadian, that has the Craftsman label. Comparable in size and weight, but spins in the wrong direction. I intend to remedy that with chain and sprockets. Not the ideal solution, but found one in nice shape for only $175. :) Paul
22089878_10213220041689287_8946734049174872473_n.jpg

22140907_10213220040489257_8353999391076537372_n.jpg

·
15,000 +posts!
19,602 Posts
I saved some of the chain drive rear differentials used on old riding mowers ,they can be used as a reverse rotation changer by clamping the diff case so it cant rotate,one axle shaft becomes the input,and the opposite axle shaft will then turn in the opposite direction...not sure how much HP or RPM's they will stand up to,but I would think they would power a snowblower OK...

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saved some of the chain drive rear differentials used on old riding mowers ,they can be used as a reverse rotation changer by clamping the diff case so it cant rotate,one axle shaft becomes the input,and the opposite axle shaft will then turn in the opposite direction...not sure how much HP or RPM's they will stand up to,but I would think they would power a snowblower OK...
That is an intriguing idea. Are they a 1:1 ratio or? Main worry is that having room for a driveshaft from my pto would put the blower too far out in front. 29Chev came up with a direction reverser using chain and sprockets. Not totally sure on the ratio, but it appears I can use a 12 tooth for the driven and a 26 tooth for the blower to drop my pto speed down from 2000 rpm to just over 1000. Paul

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
19,602 Posts
I'm pretty sure those diffs are 1:1,they use the chain sprockets from the transmission to the diff case for the gear reduction..(something like a 10 tooth sprocket on the transmission and 60 to 72 teeth on the axle sprocket..)

If I turn one shaft a full revolution the other turns a full revolution too,only in the opposite direction..

I used one once on a home made buggy,after I got the steering box I had hooked up,it would turn the wheels the wrong way! (Had to turn the wheel to the left to take a right and vice versa!)--a slight goof in the engineering dept!.....so I put the diff in line with the steering colum..

The back side idler idea will work too,it just takes up more space,and now you have another chain that may fail,and more sprockets to deal with..if you could score two straight cut gears,they would turn in opposite directions ,and be less bulky and no chain to worry about..(I have used old iron camshaft gears for that purpose before,ones off junk push mower motors or chevy engines)..

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gear drive would be great, but I don't think it would last long without an oil bath.
Helical-Gear.jpg

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you could mount a old large frame snow thrower/mower gear box on snow thrower you can change the gears for rotation or speed, F.M.C. Bolens used them for different attachments for years, my two cents.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My single stage blowers run the right angle gearbox. Don't see any way I could use one on a 2 stage. Need to come straight in, reduce the rpm's, and reverse the direction. If I use a 26 tooth top sprocket and a 12 tooth bottom center (driven) sprocket I should get the correct results.
1224171330-00.jpg

post-63590-0-46758200-1513434764.jpg

Paul

·
Registered
236 Posts
Really curious to see how well reversing the direction with chain like that will work, and how chain life will be. I'm having trouble finding any blower (dual or single) for my large frame, and I'm thinking a Berco or similar would work dandy, if I could make it work.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I?ve been thinking of getting one of these. http://www.tscstores.com/60-SNOWBLOWER-P36757.aspx
They are often on sale for $500-$600 off.

MYD 990?s have two stage blowers with reversing gear box.

Also, on that chain design, you should have both idlers on the non-tensioned side, therefore, go from drive sprocket to driven directly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts