My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

I have an Allis WD that developed a hydraulic problem, I'm hoping somebody here can let me know that I missed something obvious?

It came to me with a 3rd-party loader, and I've used it for snow removal and dragging my driveway & trails for 7 years now, so I'm pretty familiar with it. The lack of power steering combined with heavy snow in a trip-bucket over a tricycle front made me wanting a better snow solution, so I picked up a rear blower and a 3-point add-on kit from OK Tractor.

After I installed the 3-point add-on hardware, I had no hydraulics. I hadn't touched anything hydro yet, the tractor was backed into the shed & I was planning to nose it in, remove the loader, then tweak the hydro so it would run the rear 3pt instead of the bucket, but the bucket wouldn't raise.

So I took apart the pump. I ordered new springs & gaskets before I took it apart, just assuming a spring had broken. When I got it broke down, the springs were fine (replaced them anyways), the only thing I noticed was a bunch of gunk. Hoping that it was just clogged, I scrubbed everything & put it back together. Since I was at it, I also replaced the lines going to the rear cylinders.

I have the Service Manual, Operating Instructions, & Dealer Parts Catalog, I went though all 3 looking for any clue. I have tried every combination of screws A/B/C/D, plates locked, plates unlocked, etc, etc, etc, to no avail. I even took off the line to one of the rear cylinders, no fluid comes out. It's obviously bypassing or clogged somewhere, but I'm at a loss on what to try next. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

· Registered
2,743 Posts
I have several wd and wd-45's and the hydraulics dont work on any of them----the are either all the way up or all the way down--no hold on them. --- poor design for sure! --- only to get true hydraulics on them is to install a live pump to the engine and use standard valves like Allis SHOULD have done when they made these tractors. ----I only use mine as pull tractors with no hydraulics and ground lift equipment behind them.
Sad to have to do this since they were a good tractor!

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm many years removed from operating a WD but IIRC when you lift an implement you could stop it at any point during the lift or settling down (they use gravity to drop). Yes you had to keep your left hand on the handle and make sure that it "stayed" there as they did leak down pretty quick. Certainly not the greatest hydraulics setup in the world.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.