My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Question? I bought this old road grader (allis chamlers ad-40)and this is the problem. Only two forward gears and 6 reverse gears. And those two forward gears are really slow! It has two sticks, The stick coming from the transfer case side has a low and high. The other stick which comes out of the transmission has 3 reverse and one forward gear. I think it should be 3 forward and one reverse gear. I think some thing has been changed for what ever reason.. The engine rotation is clockwise looking from the fan side. but the rotation coming out of transfer case (towards the rear axle side) is counter clockwise. not sure if this is right or wrong. A guy I talked to here said he ran one and it had 6 forward and two reverse gears. I do not want to tear into it to find the problem unless that is my only choice. Any help I would be thankful for. Joel

· Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever find the answer to this?

Hello, Question? I bought this old road grader (allis chamlers ad-40)and this is the problem. Only two forward gears and 6 reverse gears. And those two forward gears are really slow! It has two sticks, The stick coming from the transfer case side has a low and high. The other stick which comes out of the transmission has 3 reverse and one forward gear. I think it should be 3 forward and one reverse gear. I think some thing has been changed for what ever reason.. The engine rotation is clockwise looking from the fan side. but the rotation coming out of transfer case (towards the rear axle side) is counter clockwise. not sure if this is right or wrong. A guy I talked to here said he ran one and it had 6 forward and two reverse gears. I do not want to tear into it to find the problem unless that is my only choice. Any help I would be thankful for. Joel

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
In that case, it would seem fair to ask the question as to weather it had been resolved. If not, maybe remove the clutter. To many forums allow the unresolved questions to sit around and waste the time of others.
MTF normally doesn't remove old posts as there may be gold in them hills. Watching the age of the threads/posts, which is directly available, may be a more prudent option before posting questions.

· Super Moderator
17,109 Posts
In that case, it would seem fair to ask the question as to weather it had been resolved. If not, maybe remove the clutter. To many forums allow the unresolved questions to sit around and waste the time of others.
If you allow your cursor to hover over the poster's avatar you will see the date the last activity took place.....I don't think too many of us consider it to be clutter, sorry that you take it that way....it is just a part of the MTF legacy ....which in the world of Tractors is highly regarded

· Registered
4 Posts
I appreciate what you're all doing here. I can clearly see it is a valuable resource.

Prudence is a two-way street: If no one is watching a post or cares about possible answer, it would not be prudent for me write a five page dissertation on a possible resolution. It's much easier to ask if anyone is out there. Time is the most valuable resource I have but even that which is in my possession is borrowed.

Please delete my posts as they in no way contribute to the discussion.

Best regards

· Premium Member
9,732 Posts
Are you sure your post was not prudent? Someone may have had similar concerns or may in the future. Without such a resolution to the original OP question there may never be resolution for someone searching for an answer to the same problem. You never know when one of these old machines may surface. Or when one may find one to purchase and come here for product concerns. Or when one may present an answer. Regardless if the original OP's problem was ever solved. If nothing else it may make good reading on a dreary boring night.

· Super Moderator
13,736 Posts
I appreciate what you're all doing here. I can clearly see it is a valuable resource.

Prudence is a two-way street: If no one is watching a post or cares about possible answer, it would not be prudent for me write a five page dissertation on a possible resolution. It's much easier to ask if anyone is out there. Time is the most valuable resource I have but even that which is in my possession is borrowed.

Please delete my posts as they in no way contribute to the discussion.

Best regards
Welcome to MTF Craigie.

I think more of what Newsman was saying is "You might not get an answer"

It's fine IMHO to resurrect an old thread. It also shows you were trying to find an answer before posting. Post away and start a new thread if you'd like. Forums are for exchange of ideas.

One thing you can also do is to tag someone if you see that they have your equipment or have answered questions related to your tractor. It gives them an alert to take a look. You add "@" to their user name. @Craigie

· Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
11,008 Posts
If you allow your cursor to hover over the poster's avatar you will see the date the last activity took place.....I don't think too many of us consider it to be clutter, sorry that you take it that way....it is just a part of the MTF legacy ....which in the world of Tractors is highly regarded
I think only moderators/staff get that in the popup that appears when you hover over the avatar. When I do it, I get the joined date (which is already shown just below the avatar on the page, it would be better to have that last seen date in the popup)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.