My Tractor Forum banner

Allis Chalmers CA head question

670 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  bjacobs113
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and new to working on old tractors. I just picked up a 1955 Allis Chalmers CA. The motor was froze, so I had to remove the head. There is a part in there that is not listed in either of the service manuals I have. It looks like some sort of oil catch basin. It sits under the rocker arms against the top of the head and runs the length of the head. It has only one hole in the rear lowest part where it looks like oil would return through. I attached a picture of it. Can anyone tell me what this is and why its needed? Since its not in any manuals that I've found, I'm tempted to just leave it out.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I have a 1955 CA & am in the process of a valve job currently. My valves are original & I am the 2nd owner (got it in 1986). It doesn't have that gutter & I've had no oil issues in the valve cover. The line going into the head should have a restrictor in it to limit oil to the rockers. If it was missing, perhaps someone rigged the trough to keep oil away from the valves.
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and new to working on old tractors. I just picked up a 1955 Allis Chalmers CA. The motor was froze, so I had to remove the head. There is a part in there that is not listed in either of the service manuals I have. It looks like some sort of oil catch basin. It sits under the rocker arms against the top of the head and runs the length of the head. It has only one hole in the rear lowest part where it looks like oil would return through. I attached a picture of it. Can anyone tell me what this is and why its needed? Since its not in any manuals that I've found, I'm tempted to just leave it out.
Just took another look at your photo. That is not original Allis Chalmers. I've worked on my CA, a C, a WD45, & several D series tractors. None of them had that piece of sheet metal.
I have a 1955 CA & am in the process of a valve job currently. My valves are original & I am the 2nd owner (got it in 1986). It doesn't have that gutter & I've had no oil issues in the valve cover. The line going into the head should have a restrictor in it to limit oil to the rockers. If it was missing, perhaps someone rigged the trough to keep oil away from the valves.
Great, thanks! Speaking of oil and the rockers, how does the oil get to the rocker shaft? All I see is a small slit in the rear most post where oil can come up an inch or 2. I don't see how the oil gets to the shaft to oil the rockers.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.