My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home my Allis Chalmers B-210 today. I picked it up for $450 with a 42" mower, 36" snowblower, wheel weights, and tire chains. I'm not planning on a restoration, but I do want to fix it up a bit. I'm going to start with figuring out why the lights don't work, then try to adjust to Vari-shift, and inspect/clean/change fluids on the rest of the tractor. I bought it to haul a cart for firewood, and the snowblower is a big bonus, because I won't have to use my walk behind blower to clear a path for the tractor. It may replace my walk behind snowblower for driveway use also depending on how well it works. I will also be pulling an aerator and dethatcher. This is my first old garden tractor, so it will be a learning experience. I'm sure I will be posting up with questions soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I have my first question. While check on the headlights not working, I have found that the voltage on the A and F terminals of the starter/generator to be 4V. Using the troubleshooting guide that I found here I grounded out the F terminal, and the voltage on the A terminal went up to 17V. It states that this indicates "the regulator cut-out section is probably not connecting the A terminal to the battery". Can someone please explain this further?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
it is likely the points in the regulator on the generator coil that control the flow of current thourgh the system are burnt or a wire is broken. What does your ammeter say? You could ground out the F terminal and it would charge but it would shortly boil the battery and/or burn up the generator.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ammeter is at 0 when it is running. When I grounded out the F terminal the A terminal voltage went up to around 17V., and the regulator started smoking a little.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Congrats on your find!
Letting the smoke out of the wires is never a good thing….can you take the regulator apart and inspect the insides?
You have proven the generator is good. The problem lies in the regulator itself, or the wiring. I'd first check to make sure all of the grounds are good, especially the regulator's ground.

·
Super Moderator
32,656 Posts
Real nice find there and I'm betting that after you blow snow with that you won't want to go back to a stand behind!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Great find and enjoy it. My 64 JD 110 unintended restoration started out as a variator adjustment. In the end I was glad I did it. slkpk

·
Registered
331 Posts
I picked up a B212 last spring and cant wait to tear into it over the winter. You got a nice tractor for sure and at a decent price.

Good Luck

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Looks like you got a great old workhorse there, little fixing and should be good to go for years to come :rauch10:.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the previous owner called me and said he also had a Simplicity Landlord, with the same 10HP Briggs(running) that he would sell to me for $100 if I wanted it for parts for mine. It's just missing the hood. I really don't need another tractor sitting in the yard, but this sounds like it might be too good of a deal to pass up. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I'd have handed him the cash thru the phone.

Mike

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
So the previous owner called me and said he also had a Simplicity Landlord, with the same 10HP Briggs(running) that he would sell to me for $100 if I wanted it for parts for mine. It's just missing the hood. I really don't need another tractor sitting in the yard, but this sounds like it might be too good of a deal to pass up. What do you think?
You should be on the way!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I brought the Landlord home for $100. It runs good, just needs a hood and some belts. It will really be a shame to part this out, but that's what I bought it for.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I brought the Landlord home for $100. It runs good, just needs a hood and some belts. It will really be a shame to part this out, but that's what I bought it for.
That tractor is a '64 landlord if it has the original engine it would be Briggs model 23, 9hp engine... I myself would not part it out, looks to be a good solid unit with the original bolt together deck as Phil pointed out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I fixed my voltage issue with a new voltage regulator. Now I'm trying to fix the vari-shift system, but I haven't been able to find the parts that I need. I need p/n 2164300SM (PULLEY HALF W/BUSHING) - AL on parts diagram, and 2164173SM (SPACER-0.753IDX0.992O) - AP on parts diagram. Does anybody have a source for these parts? Partstree and SEPW show them listed, but they are not available.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually have 3, counting the '96 Murray. But I plan to make that 1 very soon. I just want to get the major issues fixed instead of passing them on to the next guy, even though I will likely be doing it at a loss.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts