My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im looking at buying a B-10 http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...IS-CHALMERS-GARDEN-TRACTOR-W0QQAdIdZ136307227

but as you can see in the ad it doesnt have the mower deck, i was wondering... how hard is it to find one of these? and how much would a typical "used condition" deck cost? or are there any alternative decks that could work? any help would be great thanks
:praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying:

·
ROJ
2,183 Posts
i believe that most of the early large frame garden tractor mower decks for simplicity or allis will work but im sure someone with more specifics will chime in soon.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which simplicity model was most like A-C b-10?

·
Registered
773 Posts
which simplicity model was most like A-C b-10?
The early Landlord & Landlord 101 are the Simplicity equivalent to your B-10. You should be able to use any mower deck from an A/C B-1 thru the B-212 or Simplicity from the 725 thru the 3112 without any changes.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The early Landlord & Landlord 101 are the Simplicity equivalent to your B-10. You should be able to use any mower deck from an A/C B-1 thru the B-212 or Simplicity from the 725 thru the 3112 without any changes.
I agree with Mike but only if the deck is a 42" one. The 48" decks will only fit the longer frames like the 3012/B112 HB112 with variable speed or hydro will not fit under the shorter frames due to not enough clearance.

At least that's my experience!

LArry

·
Registered
137 Posts
My advice would be not to buy it unless it is a great deal.

I have found that when you buy an older tractor, the attachments are usually much less expensive when included. You may pay more for a working deck than you paid for the tractor....

Just my $.02 - Which in Canadian may be worth less.....

:goodl: :thThumbsU

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so based on what it looks like in the ad, is it a good deal? or should i wait, its not often one of these goes up for sale in my area

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Does this look like what you want?
I'm not real certain I'd like to sell it, but I'll help out with photos of the parts and pieces you need to make one work.
Two photos of the one I have. I've taken the deck off to make it easier to work on the engine etc. Someday I may be mowing with this bugger again.
rightside B10 mower (480 x 360).jpg

front left of B-10 (480 x 360).jpg

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks thudpucker, i havnt bought it yet but i plan go see it this weekend, should i bring cash with me? also i think link i put up at the top of the thread is now old heres the new one http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...IS-CHALMERS-GARDEN-TRACTOR-W0QQAdIdZ136988213

the ad says the tiller is missing the pullys and belt... the tiller only has one pulley anyways doesnt it? thanks again thud, seeing yours makes me want to buy this b-10 even more! thanks for offering a helping hand!

·
Banned
628 Posts
like another member said ... its the parts that get expensive.
the pulleys you should be able to find on ebay and have shipped.
the deck you could too ... but its a large heavy item to ship.
so its something you could wait on and see if anything comes up local ... or spend some $$ and get it shipped now (which will be close to 400$)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'm guessing he is not the owner who used it last. He's picked up some stuff and is hoping to sell the parts for a lot more than he has in them.

I have a tiller, but no pullys and belts. I've been looking for that stuff for nearly a year now. When some did come up for sale on Ebay it went for nearly $100.

I've given up on finding the original parts that I can afford.

When you look at it; see if it runs and will start without help. It has a combination starter/generator. The relay should be charging the battery. If he has to charge the battery to start it, or if there's no battery, that whole expensive system may be dead.

Also if it wont start, there's a problem with some wiring inside the cowl. You have to pull the motor out of the Tractor to fix that.

Check the Hydraulic pump. Of course if you cant start the tractor you'll never know about that stuff.

On the Tiller, rotate the pully over for one full cycle of the tiller to make sure there's noting wrong in the chaincase or the bearings in there. All the blades should be there too. You may have trouble finding them without having to buy a whole set of aftermarket blades.

Offer him $100 for it and everything else he has for it. ALso try to find out where he got it as there may be a hint as to where some of the parts are if they are still around.

It's terrible to pass up something you want that seems so good or usable, but that one may be an expensive spare parts cabinet painted yellow and trimmed in rust.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
looking at his photos and my photos, I dont see the Hydraulic pump?
Maybe I'm not accurate here, you'll have to look for yourself, but its on the left side, just behind the firewall. It runs off a small belt from the rear of the engine, just in front of the driveshaft. It should be right over the left frame member.

Those front wheels are an adaption as well. that may not be important, but the original bearings would sometimes sieze to the axle shaft and a flat tire sometimes caused an hours long repair that required taking the spindles to a machine shop for turning, and some new bearings and maybe some new wheels from the damage caused by those siezed bearings.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Offer him $100 for it and everything else he has for it.
are you sure he'll come down $300 from his asking price? also the hydrualic pump, facing the front of the tractor it should be on the left side? i'll need to open the hood to see it right? as for the tiller couldnt i go to princess auto, and buy the pulleys and belt i need? does the hydrualic pump power the verticle lift for the tiller?

as for the underside of the tractor, what should i look for to make sure its not missing any parts used to secure the deck? do you have a picture or a diagram?
thanks for you warnings about what i may be getting into, im now having second thoughts maybe i should wait...:thanku: :thanku: :thanku:

·
Registered
441 Posts
thanks thudpucker, i havnt bought it yet but i plan go see it this weekend, should i bring cash with me? also i think link i put up at the top of the thread is now old heres the new one http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...IS-CHALMERS-GARDEN-TRACTOR-W0QQAdIdZ136988213

the ad says the tiller is missing the pullys and belt... the tiller only has one pulley anyways doesnt it? thanks again thud, seeing yours makes me want to buy this b-10 even more! thanks for offering a helping hand!
Looking at the pics , there is no hydro pump . We are talking about the hydro lift correct? There really is no hardware for mounting a deck . The front of the deck is pinned on the front "axle" and a chain or cable is used to lift it via the lift arm . That's it .

$400 ? Well there are some red flags to me . The fact that there is a soda bottle in place of an air cleaner and assembly is one . How much crap has been sucked into the engine? Also looks like there are rear rim bolts missing . Hard to tell , but looks like it . Broken studs perhaps? If it's a running machine , that maintains a charge , I personally would put that one in the $100-$150 range .

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You cant hardly see that pump from the top.

I'd bet if you showed up with your trailer and $100 Cash you'd take it home with you.
He might want to wait till the Ad runs out though, see if you can time your trip to the end of the ad.

I think I can get you some photos of the naked deck this afternoon.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i dont think im going to bother with this one.:duh:

im so thankful you guys showed me what to look for, if not i probobly would have bought this tractor only to find out the problems i'd have on hand, thanks again.:thanku:

my quest to find a b-10 isnt over yet though!!!:trink40: :trink40:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Here's a peek at the pump you want to make sure you get with the tractor.
AC Mowing deck hydro pump 010 (480 x 360).jpg

AC Mowing deck hydro pump 009 (480 x 360).jpg

I wouldnt pass up this opportunity! I just dont think I'd pay more than $100 for it all.
Your getting an engine, transmission, wheels, tank, Carb, engine, etc.
Just nothing that will run any PTO devices.
For "just in case" or reference its worht the $100. Go with cash and xport and be ready to grab n run.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
im still not sure though, if im going to buy one i want it to be complete, i need to be able to plow snow and cut grass. plus apperntly the guys location has changed and is now a good hours drive to get there. he didnt post his number in the ad and doesnt seem to respond to email.

i put up a wanted ad this afternoon and have already gotten 3 responses with phone numbers, im going to reply to these responses, and hopefully more tomorow, i'll leave my wanted ad up for a couple days, go over what i've been offered, if nothing better shows i'll have to bite the bullet and take a ride to porthope to check out this guys tractor...i 'll bring 100 bucks thanks again for your input and help guys:thanku:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Here's a peek at the pump you want to make sure you get with the tractor.
View attachment 70101

View attachment 70102

I wouldnt pass up this opportunity! I just dont think I'd pay more than $100 for it all.
Your getting an engine, transmission, wheels, tank, Carb, engine, etc.
Just nothing that will run any PTO devices.
For "just in case" or reference its worht the $100. Go with cash and xport and be ready to grab n run.

Looking at the pics , it doesn't have the hydro lift , hence the manual lift . But , it does have the front/mid/rear PTO set up (from what I can see) . You can run any attachment essentially with what it has , as long as you acquire the hitch or idler pulley set up that is required .

The tiller is there , but requires the bracket and idler pulleys . But a deck would just need the 2 pins and a belt to run . A blower would need the hitch and belt , but is driven from the front PTO shaft ( need the pulley for that, they're cheap) . A dozer/snow blade would require the pins and lift rod , that's it .

Still is only a $100-$150 machine though in my eyes . But it's a good base to work with .

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you guys keep changing my mind about this tractor:confused:

so like i said before, i posted a wanted ad so far its brought back a

jacobson cheif 1200

and this:

he didnt say anything about it in the email he sent, he just left these two pictures and his phone number

1 - 20 of 45 Posts