My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would a allis chambers 917h be worth it needs a little tlc but not much just needs motor and amp guage really i was told to make an offer and i dont know what is fair here is some pics

·
Super Moderator
35,822 Posts
After being at the PA Plow day and seeing a few of these they are very stout machines. This is just a gut estimate since I don't know much about them, but I'd offer $100 so that if anything didn't work I could make it back on parting it out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no deck his brother junked them but it does come with motor but it smokes

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
where's the steering wheel? that one is from a 700series
where's the seat?
under the seat is a mess w rust. even the freewheel, which I think is aluminum, or looks like it on mine, has rust on it. and everything else needs cleaned up. also drive belt looks gone except the kevlar backing
whole thing is dirty
no motor

escalate a "little tlc" to a "lot of tlc and parts"

it's a candidate for a parts tractor

is the powerlift hydraulic cylinder in there? the basics of the lift mechanism are on the back

this might be a parts tractor for a real one

50-100 if you want a parts tractor. If you want a real tractor, this is not it. This might be the worst 917 I have ever seen. It's been thrashed, scavenged, and left outside.

edit =
forget what they call - the steering arm ball joint on the left side is bent.

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
PS, I like his furnace! Shouldn't he at least insulate the duct work before it gets to the house? ;~)
I would like a wood burner like that.

Is that a wood burner? not sure. one of those circulating water would be great; but should have an even bigger firebox

I don't know what this is; maybe the ducts insulate hot water piping??? Love the way it goes through the window. Maybe it's the hot tub room? ;)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Its an add on wood furnace. I had one in my greenhouse. It is definitely not meant to be in the elements. The blower mounts to the bottom and has no protection from the elements....

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
So, it's forced air? Up here in igloo country, I just discovered these wood burner, hot water circulation devices - add about a ton of wood and forget it for a few days; kinda like those good old steam/hot water furnaces. You don't have to split wood either - throw in a tree trunk - that's my idea of a good time - I have a little wood stove; gotta split everything to fit. These are fairly pricey to set up; they sit outside; the firebox I believe is insulated, or double walled maybe; and the rest is plumbing to wherever. Firebox, is like 6 feet large. A met a guy who has one - he hangs out with people in the tree removal biz; free wood; what they don't want.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Up by you that would be great Gray. I myself in Wisconsin (cold enough) have an hampton HI300 fireplace insert. 75000 btus and a pretty face.... No glow in it in the pic...I think I just finished the stonework shortly before? Noticed one more thing on the 716, theres no gas tank either!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i might let this go then its a 3 hour drive each way but he only wanted my 6 hp tecumseh motor that needed carb rebuilt

·
Registered
512 Posts
jdog, if it is a trade for a 6hp a 6 hour drive, I'd pass. What was once a very nice machine is now to the point where it's gonna need lotsa love and $$$ to bring it back.

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
It might be doable - for the drive+motor. If you could score a motor, and if everything else was there and working.

Cleanup is doable for free - it just takes time. You could do the under seat instant tuneup for all those cables and rods and springs with a few cans of wd40 just to quick clean and loosed up, and then pressure wash the hekk out of it. But you don't know if it will function - as in Hydro!!

It's unknown if they dumped the motor because other stuff was also shot. A BGB repair, I don't exactly know, but that's a few hundred to replace, hydro same story. Drive shaft? It's kinda doable but I can see lots of troubles on the way - or else you just get lucky.

Without the current owner telling you EXACTLY what it really needs, it's high risk. If he is an honest guy, then maybe.

But no deck? Minimum bargain basement score = 100; most a lot more.

That's what I mean - it's a good candidate for a parts tractor, which you might never use for parts.

Six hour drive. Pass.

There's lot of this type around. 7016. 716. 916. 7116 and similars with 14hp or 16 or 17hp (twin) like this one. Big spread in price range. 300-1500. most about 500-900. That's working with deck working. My 716 w missing deck spindle was 300. I am still working on the deck. Went through the tractor - all seems ok. These units have a wonderful hydro Sundstrand in them - they act like big tractors. Find a nice one, or one that's all there and will clean up nicely. They are good machines. Keep watching the ads for the one with your name on it; and you know where there's a parts unit.

Buy the one that talks to you - they speak a strange very quiet language. You will hear it from the right tractor - it's like an emotional appeal. :)

And we can do this all again any time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i am a wheel horse man but my budy has a simplicity and i likesd it this tractor ran great and rear and hydro lift worked good owners brother was gona junk it since the motor started smokin soo the owner now got it and was gona keep motor for a project but said if i give him a motor for his gocart it would be mine would it be worth parting out ???

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
could be, if you have buyers. parting out I have never done. lots of stuff to deal with over a long period of time. I see whole tractors on ebay, all for sale in tiny pieces. or just run an ad on craigs. hard to say, depends how you handle it. dismantle? or pick-your-own-parts? on this tractor, the high demand stuff is gone. hydro, BGB, rearend have value if they work. hard to say.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Those 900 series tractors are pretty tough. I had a 917 for 20 years. Still have a 918 Agco and a 98 Legacy. If your considering buying a 900 series tractor, it may be a good parts machine. If it has the original engine in it, it is a kt17 kohler. Does it have an oil filter on the engine? If the engine runs, see how well the hydro works. I'd give no more than $50.00/100.00 for a machine in that condition.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I would think it is worth no more that about $50. No deck no attachments and since there is no engine you have no idea if the transmission works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts