My Tractor Forum banner

Allis Chalmers 5020 4WD front end rebuild

29504 Views 49 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  dave_r
I bought a nice looking Allis Chalmers 5020 4WD in mid-August with less than 600 hours, and installed a loader. The first day I worked it, I saw the left front wheel catch a few times. I stopped work, took it home, and took it apart. A bearing had disintegrated. The fragments from the hard steel inner race chewed up the spur gears and the housing in a hurry. I thought that it would be useful to document the repair here. It's fairly simple. The most difficult problem is finding parts! The phot here shows the large spur gear that is attached to the stub axle.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
how do you remove the outer cover? I have all the bolts out, but I can't seem to get it to separate?
Does anyone know of a source to buy tie rod ends for the AC 5020 FWD?
Mitch, do you still have the drive gear for the Allis Chalmers 5020?
I love AC tractors and the parts situation definitely does sour their ownership. I'm cursed three times actually with a AC 170 with FEL, AC 720, and a Bolens/Troy Bilt GTX 20. All of these are a nightmare to get parts for. Is anyone aware of any machine shops that take these parts shortage issues on? I ask because I grew up in a machine shop and we would make parts all the time. Its typically not too hard to do (depending). I actually have considered making the PTO clutches for the Allis Chalmers 720/Simplicity Powermax myself because everyone is looking for these. If there is interest maybe we can get established with a machine shop and through the forum take parts requests. Sorry to hijack this thread. I'll post the idea where it belongs (not sure where that is yet).
Glad to be of help. Hardest part was finding the parts...I have a brand new large gear if you need it.

Mitch
I have a 4WD 5020 for parts. Engine did run, but, blows oil out of the crankcase. Mostly complete, needs fuel tank repair (slight leak) Hood sheet metal not the best, needs rewired. New rebuilt injectors and injector pump. 3pt operates, live pump worked before I took loader off. Alternator not functional, decent rubber, up on all fours for at least two years. Drove this unit on and off a flatbed and that is the extent of my operation and knowledge of unit. Bell housing broken at left side loader mount, would think could be repaired no missing metal. Have the loader and that is on and operating 5020 2WD. Willing to sell both units or separate. Not willing to separate 2WD and loader (text 4233673319)
I may need the 4x4 gearing, I have not taken it apart yet. Had it for a month ran it for about 3 hours and let front wheel started ratcheting. After reading the posts I think that's what might be broke.
MARK
I have a 4WD 5020 for parts. Engine did run, but, blows oil out of the crankcase. Mostly complete, needs fuel tank repair (slight leak) Hood sheet metal not the best, needs rewired. New rebuilt injectors and injector pump. 3pt operates, live pump worked before I took loader off. Alternator not functional, decent rubber, up on all fours for at least two years. Drove this unit on and off a flatbed and that is the extent of my operation and knowledge of unit. Bell housing broken at left side loader mount, would think could be repaired no missing metal. Have the loader and that is on and operating 5020 2WD. Willing to sell both units or separate. Not willing to separate 2WD and loader (text 4233673319)
Can you tell me where I can purchase those gears for the 5020 4x4
Next, slide the large gear onto the stub axle splines, followed by the inner bearing. I used a pipe nipple to drive the inner race of the bearing (careful not to beat on the bearing balls or outer race) onto the axle shaft.
I just purchased one of these also. mfwd, orignal loader, no live pto which seems like it was an option?. anyone put a 3rd function on theirs? I should receive the tractor next week. please send me a message if there is anything i should look at or that you want pictures of to fix yours.
I found a salvage tractor if you need parts, let me know. I am trying to get a few things off of it.
do you still have 5020 parts?
I found a salvage tractor if you need parts, let me know. I am trying to get a few things off of it.
Hi jdebo....glad you joined us at the friendliest forum...welcome ...hope we are able to help you find what you need for the AC...
Hey Mark thanks! Im Trying to rebuild the front end on my 5020 AC parts are so hard to find. Shocking right? At the moment I need both the large and small gears for one side. apparently they are non existent. If anyone here has a line on any please let me know!
Hi! Do you happen to have the 13 tooth 18 spline gear for in the front axle? Thanks!!
Do you still have this if so I will buy from you
Now about the difficulty in getting replacement gears.

The local AGCO dealer found me a new small (pinion, part 72099047) gear for $230. I went ahead and ordered it. It took 2 weeks to get here, I suspect because the local parts man forgot about it for a week. They could not find the larger gear.

I found that Roberts Farm Equipment in Ohio had a salvage Allis 5020 4WD and also a Massey Ferguson 210, which is supposed to be the same tractor. I bought the Massey gears as a set of 2, in nice shape, for $400 delivered. Nice, knowledgeable, hard working folks at Roberts.

It turns out that the Massey gear has a shorter 'snout' than the Allis gear that I need. The Allis parts catalog lists three different gears, but only one with 33 teeth and 23 splines (72099049). So I suspect that the Massey final drives are slightly different. Oddly enough, the king pin housing on my Allis has MF stamped on it - would that stand for Massey Ferguson?

The Massey gear would probably work if I had a spacer machined to fit, but I would rather use the correct gear. So another week's wait for the Allis gear, and then (fingers crossed) the Allis will be ready for winter work. I've already got the snow blower attached.

I now have a spare new pinion gear (part #72099047) that I would be willing to part with at my cost, $230, if anyone needs one. The other alternative is a $50 restock fee from AGCO.
MitchK hasn't been back on the forum since 2016. You could try and send him a private message which will go to his normal email. Click on his avatar and send a message. If he hasn't changed his email address he should get it.
MikeC
I am also in the middle of this same repair would be interested in your larger gear and any help in finding a new housing also mine has a big hole in it.
Glad to be of help. Hardest part was finding the parts...I have a brand new large gear if you need it.

Mitch
Hi Brokenoldallis and
.....hope someone is able to help you track down the part you need.....good luck with the repair
Hi all, Sorry to not reply, I’ve been kind of busy the last couple of years. Had to change my user name a little because I couldn’t recover my password.

Anyway, I bought a Ford 2120 4WD about 4? years ago and sold the Allis 5020. It’s still chugging along, last I heard. I sold the gear a few years back, but can’t remember who I sold it to.

I’ve also added a JD 60 (1953) and an Allis Chalmers W Speed Patrol grader (1948) to the ‘barn’.

Easy to get parts for the old ones. Haven’t had to fix the Ford yet, although I did install a creeper gear kit.
I am also in the middle of this same repair would be interested in your larger gear and any help in finding a new housing also mine has a big hole in it.
Hi MitchK1 and
back
I to am trying to redo the front axle on the 5220 and not having very good luck finding any parts for it. Has anyone had any luck with finding parts?
21 - 40 of 50 Posts