My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had watched this listed locally for about as long as I could. It's an AC Scamp 5, and from the little bit of literature I've seen on them, this one appears to be about a 1970-71. I'll date the Briggs when I get more time with the machine. Since picking up my Wonderboy, these little RER's have stuck something with me. They are pretty darn neat. A phone call revealed this one was only 2.6 miles from my house! The listing made it appear otherwise...craiglist. :dunno: This was officially the shortest drive I've had to chase a tractor :fing32:

Looks, runs and mows great...all the original decals and tags are there, the finish is amazingly well kept, no smoke from the original Briggs and the original tires aren't even showing weather checking. I do need to take some soap and water to it, and it will need a seat.

PO was a super neat guy, probably not even 35, and has a beautiful little place overlooking a small local lake. Turns out I bowhunt on state land adjacent to his property, and he welcomed me to stop by anytime, and showed me where to park if I ever wanted to hunt there (this is a grand gesture here in MI).

He's a repo guy, and had lots of tales. He took my info and added it to a file in his work truck. He said anytime he runs across Simplicity or Allis stuff, he'll shoot me an email with pics!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Nice Find!

·
David in NC
604 Posts
Mr Green, where are you located in MI?

Great find on such a nice looking little mower!

·
David in NC
604 Posts
I'm in southwestern MI. We get our fair share of CL deals...they seem to come in waves!

I'm going to have to do some searchin on here for your RER's...by the looks of your signature, you have a nice pile of Simplicity and AC mowers =]
I'm over on the simple tractors site too. But since I have other colors in the fleet, I like to check this site out too. Unfortunately, none of my RER run righ now. The Mowbee has ran, but then I found the disc drive underneath was worn out, so it got torn down. Then I moved. Then I lost parts. Ugh... Now it's got a dim future. I posted those wonderboys over on Yhe simple site. Had all three in my truck bed. Probably take 2 to make one good one. Anyways, I have family in Royal Oak, Bancroft and East Lansing. That's why I asked about location.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
That's pretty cool. I picked up a RER murray back in summer curb find, it's alomst that small, it only has 25" cut. I guess in my mind, that small of a cut seems a waste vs just pushing, but I bet my wife would cut grass she had it over pushing.:fing32:

Wished I could find a good deal on a 12Hp briggs for my Allis down here, cincinnatians think they are woth gold.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Mr. Green you going to polish up that chrome bumper? lol Nice find, You have become a very valued member on the simplicity MTF, thanks for your contributions. You make me soooooo jealous!

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! It's fun to share, and fun to help when possible...and it's a great resource. I learn new stuff every time I look at or tinker with one of these....and I don't know squat about later model stuff, so it's nice to browse those posts quietly too. I get a kick out of the old iron, and this has been a very hospitable place to learn. Just been lucky enough to find some reasonable buys to keep me busy.

Been a big year...I've had to stay close to home with a lot of family things going on, and picked up the pace on my tractor hobby to keep me busy when other hobbies would have taken me farther from the house and family.

Yeah...that chrome should clean up nicely, it's in real good shape =]

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I used to own such things. The far side blue one is the Homelite version of yours I sold all 3 for $100 to get them out of the way. (The painted one I couldn't get to shift) It sports the original pan seat cover and the cutest tiny 3 blade deck. Got my own Harry Potter lightning scar loading them in the buyers truck when a ramp slipped. They are neat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Id love to find a Homelite version some day!
David I know where a Homelite T10 is. Talntedmrgreen that Scamp is one neat little machine. She looks real good for her age.:thThumbsU

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm getting more info. Fun stuff doing a bit of research on a machine I knew nothing about. Looks like my serial #1502279 confirms that it is the first of two types. Differences in the available mower deck, throttle, decal set, etc can be seen in the manual, for serial numbers begining with S/N 27301001.
http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8cvMYrE3CSl54bp796Dq

This second type is shown on the '72 brochure
http://www.simpletractors.com/models/scamp.htm

Mine matches the Simplicity Wonderboy 305, which debuted in '70...my Briggs, however bears a '72 built date. (S/N 7203157)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts