My Tractor Forum banner

Allis 180 diesel dies when it warms up

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  manytractors 
#1 ·
If I take the sediment bulb off and put it back on it runs again for awhile. Sediment bulb is never dirty when this happens.
Also it will start again if I just leave it set for a time.
The length of time it runs is directly related to the ambient temperature outside.
In winter, many times, I'd get the whole yard cleaned out and it would never die. Not always tho. Depended on the temperature.

Any help out there. I've had other older diesels too. If they had decent fuel, clean filter and air they just ran and ran. So I'm stumped.

Gus

#6 ·
I am not familiar with the model, but by change is there a "low oil pressure" switch on the motor somewhere? If there is and its faulty, it might cause a shut down when the oil warms up and thins out.
That may explain the running when it's cold out as the oil isn't getting as warm and as thin...
Just a thought.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

It's been non stop raining here so I haven't worked on the tractor yet. We are like 4 inches above normal for precip. We've got grasses growing here (South Dakota) I've never seen before.

I've been Bush hogging weed patches in the pasture and had to take a break because of the rain. Had the management pick up a fuel filter in town so when it dries a bit I'll put it on. I don't like doing it inside as it makes such a smelly mess. I do most of that sort of thing on the pad outside. Besides my eyes aren't what they used to be. Nothing like sunlight for lighting things up.

Again Thanks,
Gus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.