My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone I know is laid up this spring, so I am helping him put his fertilizer down. Honestly, the fact he's putting fertilizer down shocked me because he is very much an anti-lawn work type of guy. The less mowing, the better in his world.

So he wants a very specific fertilizer. One that has fertilizer, pre-emergent, and broadleaf herbicide in it. I was very skeptical such a product exists, but with a little googling I found it. It is (IMHO) very expensive. As in I paid as much to fertilize/put Dimension pre-emergent down on my 3/4 acre yard, as he would pay for a bag that does 12,000 square feet.

Pendimethalin (0.3-1%) is the pre-m, and 2-4D (0.3-1%) is the post in the product he uses.

Here's my question. If you are applying fertilizer at the proper time for crabgrass control, is the broadleaf herbicide even going to be effective? Where I'm going with this is whether broadleaves are up and actively growing at that point?

I think he might be open to different approaches, but I suspect he really likes the apply fertilizer/weed/pre-m once a year and be done route with this approach. So if you guys think this route will be moderately effective, or better, on broadleaves, than I'll probably just leave well enough alone and roll with it.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I just ordered 1.5 pallets of fertilizer a few minutes ago. I deal with a golf course supply company and have never seen such a product that is post and pre plus fertilizer.

Broadleaf control and Pre emergent control is best done by spraying as a liquid and then buying a higher quality fertilizer for the specific use that is required. i.e. match to what the turf requires. This year I am going with a 18-12-6 due to soil tests indicated depleted phosphorus which isn't surprising since it has been removed from most fertilizer for 20 years.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the exact same reaction - I'd never seen that either. Google "Scotts Triple Action". You'll find it. I'd hesitated to put the brand name down, just because I don't think it really matters in this case and I didn't want to start any X fertilizer is better than Y debates.

On my own lawn, I pretty much follow what you say. I get my product from SiteOne. I do put Dimension down in the granular form, just because they have told me I don't want to spray pre-emergent crabgrass herbicide cause it can be a mess. Then I spray Momentum in fall for broadleaves. Soil test every year, and like you my Phosphorus is always low. Funny how they tell us EVERY lawn has way too much Phosphorus.

Personally, I see him paying $65 per bag for this product and wince. Because I know it can be done better and cheaper. But this may also be a case where its best not to get involved, spread the fertilizer, and call it a day.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
TWG1572

Just looked up the Scott's product, it is only a 16-0-1 so it is a pretty weak fertilizer.

Try Barricade rather than Dimension. I feel Prodiamine is a better product than Diopthyr. If you get a lot of rain the Dimension can get washed away.

I used to use Momentum FX-2 but switched to T-zone for hard to kill weeds such as wild violet & creeping charlie.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts