My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take off the universal from the mower deck gear head and bits and pieces of rubber gasket fall out. That could explain why the deck was flooded with oil the day after I filled the gearhead. So, I download the parts diagram, cross reference from another download, and order two new oil seals from Amazon. But ...

the shaft has a innocent little half-moon woodruff key preventing the seal sliding onto the shaft. All I have to do is slip out the woodruff key. The frozen key. Solid. Like a rock.

- I rest the shaft on a block of wood and hammer on one side of the key and the other, guaranteed to rock the key and loosen it. No luck.

- WD 40 and heat the shaft with a propane torch. Nuthin'.

-Sharp hardened chisel hammered into the key's lip and try to pry it out. Ha! it is to laugh!

- Break out the Dremel with a cutoff wheel. The wheel is just about the diameter of the moon-shaped woodruff key, so I hope to grind a slot straight down through the key and partially split it, without destroying the shaft. (sweat - tension - must hold hands steady)

- 20 minutes of grinding and 3 wheels later and the slot looks deep enough to pinch the top of the key together with ViceGrips. A small gap appears on one side! Could it be released? No way.

- Several more raps with the hardened chisel and the rackin' frackin' key lifts up enough I can get ViceGrips on it and rock it out. The shaft is untouched by the cutoff wheel. Yay!

Now all I gotta do is remove the remaining bits of metal oil seal.

Which is frozen in place.:banghead3

To be continued...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Same thing happened with mine. Multiple soakings with liquid wrench and some hammering finally freed it. The seal was the worst to get out.

Jason

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
A nice flat punch the width or wider and a 3 lbs hammer and don't be afraid the hit it. Chisels on tend to cut them off.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Wow glad to hear it finally came off.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice to hear that other have 5 min projects turn into 1-2 hour ordeals...ha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts