My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Denis
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put this thing (Briggs 16 HP #326400) back together, which crankshaft tooth do I choose to line up with the mark on the cam gear? The manual says it's the one "whose inner end is directly in line with the notch of the timing mark", but the picture shows the correct tooth to be the one that points to the notch. I marked the notch and the tooth I think is right with chalk. Did I get the right tooth, or is it the one below it in the photo? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Denis
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like it was the lower tooth. I got it all back together and the timing looks fine. Another problem: I bought a new starter and it won't engage. It spins fine, but even on the bench the drive gear moves only a bit and won't slide far enough to engage the flywheel. Almost looks like the spring id too strong. Have any of you experienced this?

·
Banned
2 Posts
Looks like it was the lower tooth. I got it all back together and the timing looks fine. Another problem: I bought a new starter and it won't engage. It spins fine, but even on the bench the drive gear moves only a bit and won't slide far enough to engage the flywheel. Almost looks like the spring id too strong. Have any of you experienced this?

put some trans fluid on it ..Its dry from sitting on shelf

·
Denis
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eureka! It started up instantly and runs great. No problem with the starter; it was a weak battery. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts