My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. I have a UTB 643 Tractor. It is a strong girl, but I pulled a real rookie move this morning in the vineyard. I started the tractor up (which was no problem at all) without realizing the fuel shut off valve wasn't open. I made it in Low 2nd Gear about 1200 ft before the tractor, of course, sputtered out. I tried to crank the engine back over a few times not knowing the fuel valve was closed. I finally got off, checked the fuel line, and notice it was closed. I opened it back up, tried cranking it, but it didn't turn over.

I am really worried that I got air in the lines by doing this, but I am not sure at all.

Would trying to jump the tractor with another battery help (more power for it to crank)? I was also thinking of pull starting it.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to hearing from ya'll.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take off the fuel filter, and make sure it is full of fuel...likely it has been sucked dry
Hey Mark. I have an inline filter between the shutoff valve and the fuel transfer pump.

Should I check that filter or should I look at the dual filters directly after the pump? If they are dry, do I just manually fill them up with fuel and should be good to go? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Unless the manual provides specific instructions on bleeding air out of the fuel line such as for a new startup or empty tank, it shouldn't hurt anything.

No different than just running out of fuel. Open the valve and the fuel will flow, the air should find it's way out.

·
Professional Homeowner
8,517 Posts
No different than just running out of fuel. Open the valve and the fuel will flow, the air should find it's way out.
Assuming it’s diesel, there may indeed be a procedure like you say in the manual or online. Otherwise, might need to have someone crank the machine over while you loosen fuel lines at the injectors one at a time until all the air burps out. Air doesn’t tend to work it’s own way out of MOST diesel systems, at least in my own limited experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.