My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided to build myself a rear grader blade like the one i built for Hugh, with a few small changes. I learned from the last one, and hopefully I have better steel this time so the pivot rod doesn't bend the first time it gets used.

Here is what I have done so far- cut the tank (plow will be 36" long 12 1/2 inches high) welded some 3/4 x 3/4 angle on the top for rigidity, and near the bottom on the back, and installed the cutting edge on the bottom.

0831102142a.jpg

0831102143a.jpg

0831102143b.jpg

0831102143.jpg

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
You don't think the steel is too thin? I cut an old water pump up into a BBQ pit, and it just seems too thin for dirt work. My rear grader blade is 1/4".

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hugh used his succesfully for a while and the tank did not bend at all. The steel is 1/8" but it is very strong as it was an air tank and had to hold over 150 psi of air. I guess we'll find out :) Hugh build is HERE

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Well if it works, I may be cutting up my BBQ!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking of changing the design a little on this one... I saw this
box blade idea.JPG
Agri-fab box blade and i am going to model mine after theirs. should be sweet- the ends will be removeable, and i will make my scarfier adjustable.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better yet, I may make two of these--- One like a gannon, and one just a rear blade!! I have some good ideas on how to make a Gannon type!!!!! I would still have to get off the tractor to roll it over, but it wouldn't bother me!!!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More pictures!!! I decided to go a different route with this one- I was going to cut the tool bar up and weld it so it looked like the 3 point mount that I made for Hugh but i decided it would be bad to cut up an actual sears part. So i drilled a few holes in it, mounted these brackets I had lying around, and decided to make it more like the box blade. I will make the pivot mounted on the back of the frame, and drill some holes in the ends of the blade so i can bolt ends on it, and or extend it to make it wider. I will save the "james"-cavator for my next project :)

So here you go...
0902102147.jpg

0902102147a.jpg

0902102148a.jpg

0902102148b.jpg

I made this mount a little stronger than the last one... I used a 3/4" steering shaft from my partially stripped SS16 and welded that to the supports on the plow, and welded it right to the plow as well. I decided that I will weld the plow pivot to the pivot plate on this one too. Don't know if anyone has seen the blade on vintagesearsgarden tractors, but I want the pivot to be like his, but again, I want it to be more like a box blade.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looking good James!

Just a thought for you, i have a harbor freight powder coat gun. If you were to powder coat your plow and parts they will last a lot longer ( and look cool too!)
I would let you use it if you want to. On smaller parts I have used a torpedo heater to cure the powder but for the plow you might get away with that, or you could use one of the curing lamps they have.

Eric

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking good James!

Just a thought for you, i have a harbor freight powder coat gun. If you were to powder coat your plow and parts they will last a lot longer ( and look cool too!)
I would let you use it if you want to. On smaller parts I have used a torpedo heater to cure the powder but for the plow you might get away with that, or you could use one of the curing lamps they have.

Eric
Thats an idea! I will let you know! I may just spray it with Rustoleum Almond- I have a couple quarts of that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Let me challenge everybody's fabrication skills,,,, I want a grader that will allow me to do this: Drive across the slope of a hill ( about 7 degree slope ) with a grader that will grade level: as it I am creating a flat path to drive on..
and to make it more challenging: place some sensors on the blade along with a actuator that will, as the mower leans left and right, keep the blade level..

I have a few ideas in my head,, I will put them to paper later

d

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me challenge everybody's fabrication skills,,,, I want a grader that will allow me to do this: Drive across the slope of a hill ( about 7 degree slope ) with a grader that will grade level: as it I am creating a flat path to drive on..
and to make it more challenging: place some sensors on the blade along with a actuator that will, as the mower leans left and right, keep the blade level..

I have a few ideas in my head,, I will put them to paper later

d
well the angling is easy- you just need a pipe that rotates the mount of the plow vertically end to end (my mid mount was set up like that) and you could probably use ride height sensors from a Lincoln Mark 8 or similar car to accomplish the leveling feature

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
good job as always gt80

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
any more work done on them?
Soon... I been working on remodeling my back porch from a 3 season to a fully insulated room... Got a baby comin in december and need to get my wifes craft stuff out of the spare bedroom. Had to redo the porch to accomplish this :)

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I have been sort of sidetracked by working on closing in my back porch so My baby (coming in december) can have a room...

Finally got some more work done on the plow last night though...
IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
and some more pictures...
IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

this thing is gonna be pretty heavy, and the platform on th back allows for a weight box or cinder blocks as well.

To make it a box blade, I am simply going to add some 90 degree brackets to the ends of the blade, and bolt a flat piece of steel to those.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts