My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like a really stupid question but what the heck why not.

On my sears custom 10XL it still has the factory air cleaner assembly. My question is where does it get the out side air from? Once I put the airfilter lid on and tighten it up it dies. From what I can tell because of no air. I can't figure out where the out side air comes into and through the airfilter the whole outside aircleaner lid is closed off.

It seems to me if the sides were cut all the way along so it's just a lid. That seems to me like it 1 would get all the air it needs and 2 would still filter out all the dirt.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
The outer cover or "lid" is slightly larger than the base is,thereby creating a 1/4 inch or so gap all around the bottom to let air be drawn into the filter element..

Gee,these 10XL's look a lot like my Suburban 12s,I guess the orange & white color combo was pretty popular from 67 to 69 or so!..I like this color combo..

I have seen several for sale lately on CL the same colors,one on the RI farm and garden listing is advertised for 400 bucks I noticed today!..

·
Registered
891 Posts
On my 10XL, the bottom of the air filter seals to the base flange. The top of the air filter seals to the bell cover. As mentioned, the cover is larger in diameter than the air filter, such that air can be drawn in from gap at the bottom of the bell, through the filter paper, and into the intake runner. If you've got the wrong filter element, it may be closing the gap at the bottom such that the engine can't breathe.

You can check to see that the filter isn't the problem by removing the outer bell, and placing a flat piece of heavy cardboard or metal across the top of the filter. Basically, seal the top opening with something non-porous such that the engine must breathe through the paper element. If that doesn't work, the element is obstructed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
jimhenry, I'd love to buy it. Work is almost stopped so I can't afford it right now. I noticed yours also doesn't have the outer pulley? you and too-late-I-won, are the only ones I've seen without it.

too-late-I-won...check walmart for filters. I think that's where I got my replacement. Mine is a little narrower but same height as the original. Mine needs replacing, I'll post what I get here.

my brothers....

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I noticed yours also doesn't have the outer pulley? you and too-late-I-won, are the only ones I've seen without it.
That long pully and big side cover came with the snow blower kit.

The stock tractor with a mowing deck only had the small pully with a flat looking side cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts