My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Happy Memorial Day to everyone!
My question is, my LT 1050 has the Kohler SV720S in it. Can someone tell me how to remove the air cleaner box to gain access to the carb?
On a bright note for those of you needing a laugh, this is my first experience with this type Kohler engine. I went to change the oil, and I did not unstand how to get the oil out, so I stuck a peice of cardboard under the drain tube, and unscrewed it. WOW what a mess that made! after cleaning off the tube, I now know how the oil comes out for next time!馃ぅ馃ぅ馃ぅ馃檮馃檮馃檮馃檮馃ぅ馃ぅ馃ぅ

Registered
I went to change the oil, and I did not unstand how to get the oil out, so I stuck a piece of cardboard under the drain tube, and unscrewed it. WOW what a mess that made! after cleaning off the tube, I now know how the oil comes out for next time!
As far as the oil change is concerned, the cub cadets with side mounted oil filters can be messy to replace. I stick a rag against the frame under the oil filter but there is a Harley style drip free funnel to aid in catching the oil under the filters that I suspect would work like a charm on the Cubs.

Registered
Year of the LT1050 helps, but do you use Parts Tree for the equipment breakdown diagrams? The air cleaner box is part of the engine shroud which needs to be removed to access parts underneath. Youtube has many videos of how to change the oil on various Cub Cadets.

Premium Member
As far as the oil change is concerned, the cub cadets with side mounted oil filters can be messy to replace. I stick a rag against the frame under the oil filter but there is a Harley style drip free funnel to aid in catching the oil under the filters that I suspect would work like a charm on the Cubs.
I find using the side of a 1 quart plastic oil bottle works well, cut about 1/2" off (or whatever to be able to slide it under the oil filter). Has enough volume and stiff enough to hold all the oil, and cheap to make.

Registered
As you can tell from my user name I like Kawasaki's - I changed the oil on my 3205 and noticed a very nice feature that Kawasaki included in it's design. Under the oil filter is black plastic funnel bolted to the engine block, a piece of tubing can be used to direct the oil that drains out of the filter into a receptacle.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts