My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this riding lawn mower and was asking if anyone could help me with information on it.
I did get it running by jumping the starter but it has no battery. I can't seem to find a battery that size. Any ideas who made it and what battery fits it. Attached are photos. Thanks, Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Agway are, I believe, a feed and equipment type franchise stores and lumber yards mostly in the east I think. I recall they were independents but belonged to the Agway buying group to get high volume pricing on merchandise they sold. They are probably large enough to have at one time, MTD produce a machine with their name on it.

If you Gooble "Agway 2125 tractor" you will find quite a bit of info on parts etc., and some background too. MTD is the maker. Yours looks like it is in pretty good shape.

Reactions: jimtractor

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
This PartsTree link might not be exactly your model but is close. Someone sold an Agway model 2125 and listed the model number as 134 L 670 G0A This link is for parts and diagrams for 134 L 670 G019.

Good luck on the battery search, but I would think if you measured the battery space in the tractor, you could find one that would fit in there pretty easily.

Reactions: jimtractor

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agway are, I believe, a feed and equipment type franchise stores and lumber yards mostly in the east I think. I recall they were independents but belonged to the Agway buying group to get high volume pricing on merchandise they sold. They are probably large enough to have at one time, MTD produce a machine with their name on it.

If you Gooble "Agway 2125 tractor" you will find quite a bit of info on parts etc., and some background too. MTD is the maker. Yours looks like it is in pretty good shape.
Thank you for the info. It looks like the battery is obsolete but may be able to use a motorcycle battery when I can find a cross reference. The deck is rusted in a couple spots but may be able to be patched. Was garage kept with low hours. Paid $75.00. Also needs a muffler and rear tire leaks. Going to tube it. Thanks again for the interest. Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the info. It looks like the battery is obsolete but may be able to use a motorcycle battery when I can find a cross reference. The deck is rusted in a couple spots but may be able to be patched. Was garage kept with low hours. Paid $75.00. Also needs a muffler and rear tire leaks. Going to tube it. If you know of any manuals available for service I would be interested. I would like to service the drive train properly, grease, oil etc. Thanks again for the interest. Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This PartsTree link might not be exactly your model but is close. Someone sold an Agway model 2125 and listed the model number as 134 L 670 G0A This link is for parts and diagrams for 134 L 670 G019.

Good luck on the battery search, but I would think if you measured the battery space in the tractor, you could find one that would fit in there pretty easily.

Found the owner's manual at mtdparts.com using the model number you provided. Thank you for your excellent help. Time to get busy with wrenches again.:)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
There were a lot of MTDs in that list of similar machines. Glad the info was helpful.

And now the adventure begins!! Good luck, and let us know how you are doing on your project.

Happy wrenching!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There were a lot of MTDs in that list of similar machines. Glad the info was helpful.

And now the adventure begins!! Good luck, and let us know how you are doing on your project.

Happy wrenching!
Hi, Spending a lot of time trying to cross reference a battery for the beast. It looks like an MTD oop's :oops::oops::oops:o_Oo_Oto limit the odd size of this battery. It doesn't seem reasonable for a battery price of $150.00 stens 425-449. Part # 725-1635 or 753-0608 replacement. Any cheaper options out there? Some one mentioned a $42.00 motorcycle battery or equivalent. Price just needs to make sense sometimes.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,597 Posts
Depending on what's around it, and what your skills are, you may be able to adjust the battery box size to use a larger but cheaper battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depending on what's around it, and what your skills are, you may be able to adjust the battery box size to use a larger but cheaper battery.
Looks like a lot of cutting and work to save a couple bucks. Standard mower batteries are not inexpensive anymore either, but then nothing is . If the original correct battery functions properly I may have to invest in one. I think it s 275cca. I had trouble when jump starting with a regular tractor battery. The starter would engage and then lock up and I would have to manually crank it past the compression stroke with a wrench on the crank pulley. Anyone with a history on the original cranking system with the original battery I would be interested in hearing any problems before I invest in the smaller battery.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I found this little chart on line. Is your battery box any where near any of these sizes?

Motorcycle batteries are smaller still so if these are too big, you might have to modify the box or go with a motorcycle battery.

Good luck, and enjoy that machine.

Rectangle Font Temperature Number Signage

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Font Screenshot Number Document Parallel

This is the information I found on the battery so far. I am most interested if the original battery size worked at all or had problems so they changed battery size and if anyone has the original system and is still using it.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,597 Posts
If a previous owner put in a different sized battery, I would expect they did it because the original size was hard to find and more expensive... I know for my Snapper walkbehind mowers, they used narrow, taller batterys that were more expensive, I made a new mounting plate for them so I could use a more common size (and also a more powerful battery, so I could start them in winter).

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Stens 425-449 Battery, Replaces MTD: 725-1438, 725-1635, 753-0608, Battery Acid not Included, 275 cranking amp, 8-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 6-1/2"
compare the motorcycle/sport batteries tho this size and and see if price is better. I one mtd that I had that used a sport size battery. I actually bolted a holder on the chassis rear to hold standard lawn battery

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stens 425-449 Battery, Replaces MTD: 725-1438, 725-1635, 753-0608, Battery Acid not Included, 275 cranking amp, 8-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 6-1/2"
compare the motorcycle/sport batteries tho this size and and see if price is better. I one mtd that I had that used a sport size battery. I actually bolted a holder on the chassis rear to hold standard lawn battery
Made a purchase from Amazon with listing as replacement for MTD 600 series. ExpertPower Y50-N18L-A3 12V 24 AH 340 CCA - SLA Power Sport Battery Will let you know how it works out. Had good reviews and should fit. Moving onto the deck next. Really needs replacing but will try to get by with it this season. Any information or suggestions on putting it back on I would be interested in or if someone has a deck shell I would be interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts