My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The four house batteries were replaced with agm's about ten years ago!! Well, they finally gave up the ghost. Or maybe not. Two read under 10.5 and two read 11.2. Supposedly, if agm's are under 10.5 a regular charging system won't kick them. I have new replacements and will do that in the next few weeks. The 'originals' gave great service. A battery web site claims agm's can be brought back if under 10.5. I will be trying their method. Still, ten years on a set of batteries is not half bad!:thThumbsU

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
10 years is great, Mrcaptainbob. My 2001 Dodge Ram (purchased June 2000) is still on its original batteries. Not marine obviously, but pretty good for car batteries.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tomorrow. My baby gets four new AGM's. The old ones will come home and get checked out to see if they are rechargeable. Am anxious to hear Baby come to life again. It's been way too long since I heard the purr of Baby's heart's beating.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's alive!! Two new pacemakers for those twin hearts and Baby is purring pretty! The old batteries must've had a rough winter, as the sides are a bit buckled and there was evidence of battery juice in the boxes. It's all clean and spiffy now. Nice.....too bad it's so late in the season!!

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Hot Rod magazine had an interesting article on AGMs last month. Alot of folks were having the same issue with AGMs deep discharging and never taking a charge again. We had an Optima do the same thing, unfortunatly for us the trick didnt work, but in alot of cases it does. Daisy chain your AGM in line with a good battery (jumper cables from one to the other work fine) and then hook up your charger. Alot of cheaper or older style charger cant pick up an AGM battery so they dont deliver a charge. By linking two together it tricks the charger into thinking something is there (it is there but your charger wont pick it up on its own). After about an hour you can unhook the good battery and let the charger continue on the dead AGM. It's an easy trick and worth a try before you spend $200+ a pop on new batteries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts