My Tractor Forum banner

Agco 1722

416 Views 19 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  TheMurf
Hello folks, new here. Just picked up this Agco 1722 with 22hp vanguard and 54" deck for $850 delivered and I think I did pretty good on it. Was told by the seller that it was upgraded to a Tuff Torq K71 but haven't verified yet.

Only issues I've found with it so far is a frozen choke cable that I'm hoping PB blaster will work it's magic on, a missing cut height knob and cushion part of the seat is taped to the hard plastic where it came apart.

It has 326 hours on it and hasn't been serviced yet in prep for this upcoming season. I plan to change the oil and filter, air filter and spark plugs, as well as order spare belts encase I need them. May even hit it with a DA polisher while I'm at it.

Is there anything specific about this mower I should pay particular attention to or any additional maintenance I should be doing?

I also noticed that when I lower the deck the rollers don't touch the ground unless I have the cut height almost maxed out. I looked underneath and noticed the chain for the lift is attached to the hook by the 3rd (if i remember right) link, and there's an extra link above it. Is this how it should be and I need to adjust something else? Common sense tells me I should just reattach the chain to the hook on the last link so that the deck hangs lower but I wonder if that will make the deck sag too low when raised.
Thanks in advance!
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions, but congratulations on your new machine and welcome to MTF!

I'm sure others will reply soon and offer you assistance.
Reactions: 2ndHandMustache
Hi 2ndHandMustache
Sky Light Tree Font Arecales

I think you did better than "pretty good" ...it is a really good tractor...it is the same as a Simplicity Conquest...you can get that manual here Manuals | Simplicity
👍 The rollers are supposed to rest on the ground ...is it manual or hydraulic or electric lift?,,,in any case the manual will tell you how to get it straightened out...with that many hours you may want to check the valve adjustment...it's an easy job if you have to adjust them...that is low hours, but it is time to check the valves ...good deal for you, I wish you the best and happy seat time
Thanks! It's manual lift. Appreciate your input on the valves, will definitely check on that.
Hi 2ndHandMustache View attachment 2581078

I think you did better than "pretty good" ...it is a really good tractor...it is the same as a Simplicity Conquest...you can get that manual here Manuals | Simplicity
👍 The rollers are supposed to rest on the ground ...is it manual or hydraulic or electric lift?,,,in any case the manual will tell you how to get it straightened out...with that many hours you may want to check the valve adjustment...it's an easy job if you have to adjust them...that is low hours, but it is time to check the valves ...good deal for you, I wish you the best and happy seat time
Make sure you get all the points that need grease and lubrication with a squirt type of oil can
I hit everything with PB blaster for now. When I get a good warm day I'm going to give it very thorough clean/wash/wire bristle surface rust/paint over rust and then grease everything properly.
Make sure you get all the points that need grease and lubrication with a squirt type of oil can
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Does that one have Power Steering?
It doesn't. Has locking rear differential, no 4wd.
Does that one have Power Steering?
Congrats on the new machine. One my JD X500 48" deck the roller and the anti scalp wheels do not touch the ground when on level surfaces. I believe that they are there to prevent the deck from digging into the turf when mowing uneven ground. JD says they should be adjusted to ride 1/4" to 1/2" above the surface. Personally, I use about 3/4" inch.
The deck wheel height is adjustable via the height adjustment holes in the brackets the secure the wheels to the deck. If, you have a shop manual there should be instructions on setting the anti scalp wheel height based on deck settings. Move the wheels up or down based on the deck height.
I figured the deck height issue out. Manual says it should be bolted to the deck with the 3rd link (out of 4) in the deck lift chain for normal use and it should hang by the full remaining length of the chain per the pictures. Mine was bolted by the 3rd link and hung by the 2nd, which took two of the four links out of play and suspended the deck higher than it should have been. Most obvious solution is commonly the right one haha. Now my deck is actually free floating and resting on the rollers in the back at all cut heights.
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Good to hear..Nice machine by the way,best of luck with it.
Congrats on the new machine. One my JD X500 48" deck the roller and the anti scalp wheels do not touch the ground when on level surfaces. I believe that they are there to prevent the deck from digging into the turf when mowing uneven ground. JD says they should be adjusted to ride 1/4" to 1/2" above the surface. Personally, I use about 3/4" inch.
The deck wheel height is adjustable via the height adjustment holes in the brackets the secure the wheels to the deck. If, you have a shop manual there should be instructions on setting the anti scalp wheel height based on deck settings. Move the wheels up or down based on the deck height.
There are no anti scalp wheels on Simplicities ...the deck hangs from the front and the rollers sit on the lawn leaving the stripes for which Simplicities are knpwn
Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot Grass
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Well looking at the photo from the OP, above. Those caster wheels on the deck are adjustable for height. They can be raised or lowered depending on deck height. Same set up as on my new BX Kubota. In the shop manual it has instructions on which hole is used depending on deck height.. Maybe the terminology is different on a Simplicity but I always refer to them as anti scalp rollers..
Those are anti scalp wheels in the front and they are adjustable. In the rear there are none though like on most mowers. The rear of the deck hangs on from chains and it's supposed to have slack so that the roller can make contact with the ground and go higher and lower as needed when the ground is uneven. That's Simplicty's "free float" deck design. My chains didn't have any slack initially and that was the issue I was trying to fix.
View attachment 2581161

Well looking at the photo from the OP, above. Those caster wheels on the deck are adjustable for height. They can be raised or lowered depending on deck height. Same set up as on my new BX Kubota. In the shop manual it has instructions on which hole is used depending on deck height.. Maybe the terminology is different on a Simplicity but I always refer to them as anti scalp rollers..
WOW!..I have had a bunch of Simplicities, and none of them had wheels..they all hung from the front...they have a row of rollers across the rear edge of the deck
Automotive tire Orange Amber Wood Wheel
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Fender Motor vehicle
Yeah mine still hangs in the front from the pivot but it does have the wheels if you'd like to use them (I probably wont).
WOW!..I have had a bunch of Simplicities, and none of them had wheels..they all hung from the front...they have a row of rollers across the rear edge of the deck
View attachment 2581191 View attachment 2581192
Guys, I believe the roller under the deck is what gives the Simplicity machines that nice stripe in your lawn when you cut... Correct me if I am wrong. The adjustable caster wheels on the front help keep the deck level from side to side when going over bumps and imperfections in your lawn.. Meaning the deck will not tilt to one side on a hill for instance,so it doesn't tear up your lawn. I know on my BX Kubota in the shop manual there are specific heights you set them at based on where you have the mower deck set..For instance ,if the mower deck is set at 4 inches of height then the pin goes in the second hole from the top on each caster bracket . Purpose to keep the wheels in contact with the lawn. There is a page in the BX shop manual specifically for setting the caster wheels adjustments. That's all.. I looked at a Legacy Simplicity but I really wanted a diesel machine. I do own a Simplicity professional series snowblower which has been awesome. They make a great product.
They did make Legacy with diesel engines ....I know one model was a 27HP B&S dieslel, and I think there was one other diesel engine available
Guys, I believe the roller under the deck is what gives the Simplicity machines that nice stripe in your lawn when you cut... Correct me if I am wrong. The adjustable caster wheels on the front help keep the deck level from side to side when going over bumps and imperfections in your lawn.. Meaning the deck will not tilt to one side on a hill for instance,so it doesn't tear up your lawn. I know on my BX Kubota in the shop manual there are specific heights you set them at based on where you have the mower deck set..For instance ,if the mower deck is set at 4 inches of height then the pin goes in the second hole from the top on each caster bracket . Purpose to keep the wheels in contact with the lawn. There is a page in the BX shop manual specifically for setting the caster wheels adjustments. That's all.. I looked at a Legacy Simplicity but I really wanted a diesel machine. I do own a Simplicity professional series snowblower which has been awesome. They make a great product.
Hi Mark, They did, they do not anymore, in fact if you check the web page they no longer list the Legacy model at all. Which is a shame because it was a very nice machine..
1 - 20 of 20 Posts