My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for a set of AG (tractor style) tires for my JD L110 to help me improve traction (not so worried about the lawn) on slopes... Sizes are
Front 15x6.00-6
Rear 20x8.00-8

Most lawnmower shops around here have never supplied these and don't know what to get. One supplier has suggested "Kenda front 13X5.00-6 AG K359 (4ply) Tubeless and rear 18X8.50-8 AG K357 (4ply)" but I'm not keen on going smaller.

Can anyone suggest a make and model of tire to fit my lawn tractor? ... I don't mind different makes on front or rear so please suggest which you know of.

Many thanks.
Neo

·
Super Moderator
24,003 Posts
Load your current tires with a mix of water and plumbing antifreeze. You should notice a serious improvement in traction.

Break the bead on one side of the tire and pour in as much as you can, then air them up to operating pressure. That's standard operating procedure for traction problems over here, but some of us have to use a fluid that won't freeze down to at least -40*.

If that's still not enough traction, get a set of 2-link tire chains and install them tightly. They won't chew up the lawn any worse than ag tires, and my experience is that they won't chew it up at all unless it's really wet or you're pulling some thing heavy.

·
Super Moderator
24,003 Posts
I edited my last note for more info since you read it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
i leave my weighted ags on all year. In the winter I put chains on them and push snow like nobody's business. I used to use the chains on my turfs; I notice no difference. Other disagree. Frankly, I don't have much spare time to swap out tires and prefer the ags for year round use. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have an old mid 60's era Wheel Horse that I use for plowing snow (kinda prefer it over the BX2350 as it has faster ground speed) and general pulling work. Up until last year it still had the original super-hard tires on it, last year I bought narrower diamond knobby style tires for the front to improve steering when plowing snow. I still use the hard-as-plastic rear turf tires, but have added 2-link chains and about 80lbs per wheel. Add my ample 230lbs in the seat and it's amazing the traction it achieves, even on ice!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi All,

I'm looking for a set of AG (tractor style) tires for my JD L110 to help me improve traction (not so worried about the lawn) on slopes... Sizes are
Front 15x6.00-6
Rear 20x8.00-8

Most lawnmower shops around here have never supplied these and don't know what to get. One supplier has suggested "Kenda front 13X5.00-6 AG K359 (4ply) Tubeless and rear 18X8.50-8 AG K357 (4ply)" but I'm not keen on going smaller.

Can anyone suggest a make and model of tire to fit my lawn tractor? ... I don't mind different makes on front or rear so please suggest which you know of.

Many thanks.
Neo
Well, since your rear tires are 20x8x8, Carlisle has a 20x10x8 super lug tire that should be perfect for your L110. My brother had 20x8x8 turfs on his 98 MTD Yard Machine and now he put the 20x10x8 lugs on there and guess what. No more traction problems! We've pulled truck axles on a homemade flat bed trailer and barley even knew that we were pulling anything for just how much more traction we had, as where the turfs on it before would pull it fine on level ground, they would begin to spin. So thats probably your best bet if you want lugs.
Good luck on your choice and have fun!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, since your rear tires are 20x8x8, Carlisle has a 20x10x8 super lug tire that should be perfect for your L110. My brother had 20x8x8 turfs on his 98 MTD Yard Machine and now he put the 20x10x8 lugs on there and guess what. No more traction problems! We've pulled truck axles on a homemade flat bed trailer and barley even knew that we were pulling anything for just how much more traction we had, as where the turfs on it before would pull it fine on level ground, they would begin to spin. So thats probably your best bet if you want lugs.
Good luck on your choice and have fun!:thThumbsU
This is very interesting information Ctractor.
Are you saying that 20x10x8 will go straight on my my current Rims ... or do I need to buy different rims?

Many thanks.
Neo

·
Registered
905 Posts
one of my tractors has turfs+chains+weights the other has AG's and weights, they both go in snow and mud. i really haven't "tested" to see which is best, i try to stay out of difficult situations.
The one with AG's and weights is a all year set up because that one mows the fields ( fields get muddy in the spring) and on the other one the chains come off for summer because it just mows around the house and trees.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is very interesting information Ctractor.
Are you saying that 20x10x8 will go straight on my my current Rims ... or do I need to buy different rims?

Many thanks.
Neo
Yep, those tires will go right on your rims. The only difference between your 20x8x8 turfs and the 20x10x8 ags are that the ags are 2" wider, which shouldn't be a problem.:trink39:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Stop and go tire.... Dudes honest and awesome... Free shipping on AG's as well
X2. Good people to work with. I bought a pair of Carlisle Tru Powers 26-12-12's and a pair of the same 23-10.5-12's shipped for under $400. Can't beat that.

·
Super Moderator
24,003 Posts
Stop and go tire.... Dudes honest and awesome... Free shipping on AG's as well
For some reason, I don't think free shipping will apply in this case. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.