My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of Carlisle ag or lug tires for my 4020PS. They were stiff and the side walls were compressed during storage or shipping. The shop had a bugger of a time inflating them; in fact we resorted to putting a tube in one of them. But they're up now and on the tractor. Ready to climb the hill!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Any shop that couldn't install these tires without tubes couldn't be well-experienced or well-equipped.
:sidelaugh
I hate to say it but I was thinking the same thing.

If you don't mind me asking how much did they set you back? Any pics?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
got pics?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I would love a set of Ags for the 444 (at least once its back up and running). Don't judge the shop too quick! I've have some bound/bottom stack tires that we couldn't get to seat. Once had a set of tires for an F150 that we ended up sending back a couple of of them since the beads were about an 1" appart and no amount of streching/ heating/ banding/ cheata would get those things to seat! If it were me I would take the tube out one the tire had been on for a little but thats just me.

Brad

·
Registered
583 Posts
If they have been at the bottom of a pile they get squashed. I have had to use a 5,000 LB cargo strap around the outside on some to get them to widen enough to catch the bead. They should have tubes in them anyway, then you can fill them with liquid and not be concerned with corrosion of the rims.
Mad Mackie in CT:thThumbsU

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
a little trick that will work if done properly to get the bead is to sit the rim inside the tire, and put a little kerosene in the spot where the seam hasnt set up yet. light the kerosene and the expansion of gas will cause the tire to sit nicely on the rim

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
a little trick that will work if done properly to get the bead is to sit the rim inside the tire, and put a little kerosene in the spot where the seam hasnt set up yet. light the kerosene and the expansion of gas will cause the tire to sit nicely on the rim
Works with WD-40 too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
One of my favorite things to show the students at school is perfectly safe. We have a few bicycle tubes on hand in various sizes. What you do in that case is to lube a tube up really well and then slip it over the top bead of the rim. This tube then seals against the rim as well as against the new tire.

As you add air the tire pushes up toward the bead. Eventually it will actually push the bike tire all the way off and bead itself shortly thereafter.

Every now and then you will tear a bike tube while doing this but those are pretty cheap anyway.

·
Tractorhead
270 Posts
willowcreek - If you plan on doing a lot of snow removal or any amount of dirt work you'll sure appreciate the traction your Ag tires afford. You'll have to post a few pictures!

rslaback - That really sounds like a great idea - wish I would have known about your trick several mounts ago. I would think I'd pinch the tube. I'll have to remember this cool trick next time.

My tractor isn't a high wheel tractor like willowcreek's 4020PS but when I put Carlisle Tru-Power Ag tires on my 222 I had one heck of a time getting the bead to seat on both tires so the shop I took one of the tires to had to use a Cheetah to get that darn tire to jump on the rim.

I just used my 222 yesterday to do a fair amount of dirt work on an irrigation ditch on both my and my neighbor's property. Every time I do work of that nature I sure appreciate having Ag tires on the rear!

case222agtires.jpg

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice tires, they increase the testosterone level of our already manly looking tractors!!! They look better than my Titans!!! Did Carlisle recently put these tires back into production???
Bob Mac in CT:trink39::fam32::bump9:

·
Registered
786 Posts
The pros use a 5 gallon air tank with a 2 inch full port ball valve that has a noozle attached to the valve. All it takes is filling the tank with air and then you just have to place the end of the nozzle at the opening of the rim and tire. Open the valve and, BOOOM, its seated. Thats the way mine were put on after i gave up on the auto shop i took them too and went to a tire shop. I would like to add the he allso had a quick connect fitting that screwed onto the valve stem and the air hose connected to that, with the valve core removed full air is available to make sure the bead stays sealed against the rim.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts