My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever put ag tires (superlug style) on a snapper RER? I need tires for the rear of mine and was looking into the ag's.

The cost was not that much more, and it would certainly look cool (at least i think it would). I just do not know if the tires would cause problems with the drive gear? Any thoughts or discussion would be greatly appreciated. I want to get the tires soon, its getting old pumping up tires 2 or 3 times per mowing...

thanks guys!

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,095 Posts
I saw a picture of one on one of these forums in the last couple of weeks. I suspect there is a large generation gap here so I won't say what it looked like to me.

However, I do not like AG tires on any lawn mower because they leave indentations when the ground is soft as in the spring which is why Turfmaster type tires are generally used on lawn mowers.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
235 Posts
My son put a set on his JD GX85 RER because he needed more traction on his hilly yard. They work fantastic and don't tear up the turf as long as you are carefull and don't spin them. That little thing will climb a tree now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My son put a set on his JD GX85 RER because he needed more traction on his hilly yard. They work fantastic and don't tear up the turf as long as you are carefull and don't spin them. That little thing will climb a tree now!

That looks awesome IMHO! My bigger question is will it mess up my mower to have such aggressive/traction oriented tires? I dont want to add stress to an already "experienced" mower that is not necessary, i just want to cut my yard...

Also do Ag's add height because of the lugs or are they measured lug to lug and roughly the same as most turf tires? Specifically i am looking at the Deestone turfs or Ag's in the 16x6.50-8 size.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ordered the lug tires for him from GCT Wholesale. They are the deestone 16x6.50x8 also and were very close to the same outside diamater as the original tires so we did not have to re-level the mower deck.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-16X6-50-8-4P-...IR-DS5291-/390094803352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

He has used them for several years now and the aggressive tires have not hurt this little mower at all. I can't speak for the Snapper, but apparently the JD GX85 has an indestructable manual transaxle. Besides mowing, He pulls loaded down plug aerators, garden trailors and brush piles with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw a picture of one on one of these forums in the last couple of weeks. I suspect there is a large generation gap here so I won't say what it looked like to me.

However, I do not like AG tires on any lawn mower because they leave indentations when the ground is soft as in the spring which is why Turfmaster type tires are generally used on lawn mowers.

Walt Conner
Walt, do you remember which forum it was, i would cherish the ability to talk to a fella that has done what i am looking to do.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
It all depends on the diameter of the replacement. If it is the same as the original turf tire, it will not change the gearing, and shouldn't change performance in any way. I do wonder if there would be a difference in turning, as the less aggressive tread would allow more slippage in a turn, no?
tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was my thought exactly. will the aggressive tire grip too much in a turning situation and cause undue stress on the drive gear? i still have not seen any picture on the whole of the internet with a Snapper RER sporting Ag's... anyone able to help with this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I saw one this spring when I was looking for my snapper RER. Sombody on ebay I think had redone a comet and put ags on th back. Looked good in my opinion.

I personally have plans to put Snow Hogs on mine once I get into redoing it a bit more. I bought this as a trimming mower, and I have some hilly and rough terrain to traverse, so I needed something with a bit o extra grip.

Whenever Iget around to installing those, I'll be sure to post a picture.

HB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts