My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ags on my tractor (2014 G5500 (944.604410) ), and overall I am happy with the traction (tires are loaded with washer fluid, and I have wheel weights on).

I just plowed some wet snow (5") last week with my 42" blade, and I felt like I was losing traction in some spots on my gravel drive. I was wondering if anyone has a similar setup (K66, no locking diff), and if chains helped in any way. I would like to avoid V-bars if possible, as it is stored in my garage and I want to avoid slab damage. But if needed, i can always throw some plywood down.

·
Super Moderator
30,894 Posts
Well, you can spin anything and wet snow will definitely test that. The one thing I would say is that without diff lock or independent left/right brakes you are likely to experience it. Chains don't work as well on Ags as on Turf tires because they lay in between the bars (below the tread), they still work, just not as well.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
From my experience on gravel with ags tossing the chains and adding more weight was the answer. If your losing traction there is not enough weight to maintain traction and chains will only dig a deeper hole.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can add weight on the sleeve hitch if needed. How much weight can I add without overloading the K66? With wheel weights and loaded 23x10.5x12s, I would not want to overdo it and end up with a bent axle.

·
Super Moderator
30,894 Posts
You have no weight on your axle presently with wheel weights and tires loaded. So I wouldn't see an issue with adding about 80 - 100 lbs. to the sleeve hitch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure a bit of extra weight will not hurt. But I swear the biggest traction issue I have is lack of ground clearance on this tractor. Every time I have gotten stuck, the frame (or more likely, the sleeve hitch) would be in contact with the ground. I like the sleeve hitch, but it is definitely the lowest ground clearance area on the tractor. Does not take much spinning to ground the frame hard when it's only 3" up.

I considered bigger tires when I got my 23x10.5x12 ags, but was worried about fender clearance. Maybe I should have bit the bullit and shimmed the frame up. Too late now :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts