My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a new one for you guys!

So a few days ago I did my very first fully carb cleaning/rebuild on my B&S 18.5 twin engine, which was fairly simple to my amazement if you just payed attention when disassembling. I took the hood off my 98 Murray for better access, and disconnected the lights and went to town.

After putting everything back together I turned the key and nothing. No sounds or any sign of the tractor trying to start. I checked to make sure I didn't disconnect any wires and everything seemed fine. I was able to get the tractor started only by jumping the solenoid with a screw driver, and after 4 seconds of turning the engine the carb cleaning was a success the engine runs great, however i'm still left with the starting issue.

My question is, did I miss something so obvious that it would embarrass me later? or possibly discounted a wire while cleaning the carb, or removing the hood? Also is there any easy way to trial and error the safety switches to see if they are the problem? I checked the seat, PTO, and brake switches for physical issues but didn't see anything. It also could be the ignition switch which was corroded and it was just a coincidence that it failed the same day I cleaned the carb?

It looks like the safety switches are just a ground wire, I guess I could bypass the seat switch to reduce the amount of variables, since that safety 'feature' annoys me anyway correct?

Sorry for the amount of questions I'm just stumped after 3 hours of examining the issue, any incite on something I missed would be helpful.
:thanku:

·
Registered
246 Posts
There is a wire going to a terminal on the solenoid, when you turn the key it sends 12 volts to that wire which engages the solenoid and sends power to the starter. If this wire isnt getting power when you turn the key then you have some trouble shooting to do, but if it does get power than its just a bad solenoid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So after looking more at my problem I decided to start at the basics & pull out the fuse to take a look at it one more time. Visually it looked fine, however once I poked the center with a paperclip it revealed a broken fuse, I replaced it and tada works like a charm.

Remember the part I said that "it might be an embarrassing thing?" yup sure enough it's a $ 0.05 fuse. At least I got to learn about the electrical system in the last couple of days.

Note: if you want to disable your chair safety switch on a Murray, make sure that yellow wire isn't grounded, or else as soon as you release the brake when the engine is on it will shut off the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
don't be emabarrassed, the fuse is often overlooked. When I first went to find mine it took forever. The manual said "fuse located next to battery". I was going nuts until I opened the little access door under the steering wheel, 3 1/2 feet away from the battery.

Just as an FYI, giving info on safety switch disabling is against the rules here at MTF and is enforced rather strictly. I know no harm was meant on your end but wanted to give you a heads up for the future.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am glad someone posted this.....I have been chasing my tail trying to figure out the exact same issue with my Widebody LT. Glad I have extra fuses in the shed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts