My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was with TWR in Swaziland during the 70's & 80's I enjoyed documenting my surroundings with an eye toward the mechanical.

As I understand it, this 'tractor' was developed for 'Third World' use.
Not sure if it's gas or diesel. I'd love to learn who made them.

(The lady is sitting near the front with her load of firewood.)

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Thanks for posting that up. It looks like that tractor was designed to perform a lot of functions. Any idea who made it?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Don't know who made it but it had hydraulic motors on the wheels and was designed specifically for Africa where maintenance was non-existant. I remember reading about them in some magazine and thinking why we couldn't buy them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It has been a while since this was posted but I just joined. This tractor above is a Timkabi tractor. I believe it was 16 HP. It was designed for farmers who have 1 - 2 Acre farms and to be built locally. That is what most Swaziland farms were. It was designed for all needs of the farmer. Plow and till the land, then haul the crop to market. My Brother in Law worked for an aide group of the British Government teaching farming to underdeveloped countries and was on the team that developed this tractor/truck. His next post was to introduce a moldboard plow pulled by an Ox instead of a stick poking holes. That was in Sierra Leone.

The tractor worked perfect and should have been exactly what was needed but it didn't do so well over time. It represented colonialism and didn't look like a tractor they saw in the pictures. One report I read said farmers wanted "big" tractor like the Americans used. It showed how imported 60-90 HP tractors that were seen at Ag shows were what locals wanted even tho a small 20 hp would do all they needed. I have not heard lately but I am sure they are not still produced. I would have loved to have one. All I have is a T-shirt with an outline of one and the name on it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Interesting history behind a very well thought system . Seems no matter how simple and well something works , someone will stop it being made . Thanks for finding the story .

·
5K and there's still more
6,904 Posts
:dunno:

I have got to say it. . . sorry in advance

Wow it even has auto pilot !

nice tractor story

sad ending

thanks for sharing.

Donewrken

;)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
44seagrave;2375616 One report I read said farmers wanted "big" tractor like the Americans used. It showed how imported 60-90 HP tractors that were seen at Ag shows were what locals wanted even tho a small 20 hp would do all they needed. [/QUOTE said:
They sound like Americans on welfare. They want Cadillacs but who's gotta pay the bills? I read that these tractors were DONATED to Africa.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts