My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I like my TOYS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 7 acres of yard that I would like to aerate. Is there anything available besides the 3 foot ones for behind a garden tractor? Anything that I could pull with my 7510 Kubota that won't take me 3 days.

·
Administrator
12,617 Posts
Weld / Bolt 3 together and get a bunch of cinder blocks to weigh it down. :trink40: Seriously I have no idea if anyone builds a big spike aerator. I just bought a 3 footer from Sears and my brother has a 4 footer from Brinley. good luck..

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
So last weekend I'm grunting along with a rented beast of an aerator while my 2320 was sitting in the garage itching to tackle this job. My question:.has anyone managed to convert one of the Lowes or Home depot pull behing plug aerators to a 3 point hitch version? If so .pictures would be welcomed.Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I'm not really sure just what a Aerator does. I know that it makes holes in the ground and assume it's to let air into the ground. I live in upstate NY and have clay soil. My lawn grows fast and the grass is thick. My sod is about 3" thick. I have seen the Aerators with just the spikes and then ones that have hloes and takes (plugs?) out of the ground. With having clay for my soil, in the srping when it rains, the lawn stays wet longer. In the summer if it's dry, the ground gets so hard, you can see the cracks in the ground in the bare spots. My question is, do you guys that have and use Aerators see what benefit a Aerator would be for my lawn and if so, what type. With the clay packing really hard the way it does, I would think the Aerator types that removes the plugs would just fill up and not work properly. I hope I haven't been too confusing.

Thanks,

Curt.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I'm not really sure just what a Aerator does. I know that it makes holes in the ground and assume it's to let air into the ground. I live in upstate NY and have clay soil. My lawn grows fast and the grass is thick. My sod is about 3" thick. I have seen the Aerators with just the spikes and then ones that have hloes and takes (plugs?) out of the ground. With having clay for my soil, in the srping when it rains, the lawn stays wet longer. In the summer if it's dry, the ground gets so hard, you can see the cracks in the ground in the bare spots. My question is, do you guys that have and use Aerators see what benefit a Aerator would be for my lawn and if so, what type. With the clay packing really hard the way it does, I would think the Aerator types that removes the plugs would just fill up and not work properly. I hope I haven't been too confusing.

Thanks,

Curt.
Aerators counter compaction of the soil. I would think it would be very beneficial in hard clay soil, though I don't have that problem myself. The plug aerators are tapered so that the plug easily pops out of the back end, I have more problems with small rocks getting stuck in them than soil.

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
sarge,

Golf courses aerate twice a year for good reason. I use a plug aerator here in our CT clay and they work great, you just have to plan your aerating around the right combo of moisture. I used to aerate twice a year as the golf courses do, but now I just aerate in the fall, put down fertilizer, seed, and lime at the same time and the lawn looks better and better each year! :)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
So last weekend I'm grunting along with a rented beast of an aerator while my 2320 was sitting in the garage itching to tackle this job. My question:.has anyone managed to convert one of the Lowes or Home depot pull behing plug aerators to a 3 point hitch version? If so .pictures would be welcomed.Thanks
Hello,
Where you the party that sent me a PM on 3 point plug aerator? I deleted the notice, because I knew I would pick it up when I went to MTF. But it wasn't there! That is a first!

I will try to get pictures and relocate this thread later today, if I can.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Here is a simple trial setup that worked well enough that I am in no hurry to change it. Would like to clean it up when it reaches the top of the priority list. Hopefully before fall aerating time.

As you can see, I simply bolted a sleeve hitch adapter to the tongue of the Agri-Fab wheeled 48 inch plug aerator, bolted a heavy piece of channel, ( angle would do) to the tray for down pressure, and a brace to the top of the sleeve hitch. Just pieces of scrap laying around!

Removed the wheels and the lift lever. All is such that it can be easily reassembled to original.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Another trick we do when we are using the plug style aerator is once we're done aerating we get a load of sand or sand topsoil mix and rake and fill in the holes with that. My back yard was mostly clay fill. Makes a world of difference. Helps with the compaction issue and lets the water get to the roots easier as well as the nutrients form the top soil to the roots. Have a greener, healthier looking lawn. Probably would work with the spike style aerators, just use less sand/top soil to fill in the voids left by the spikes.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Another trick we do when we are using the plug style aerator is once we're done aerating we get a load of sand or sand topsoil mix and rake and fill in the holes with that. My back yard was mostly clay fill. Makes a world of difference. Helps with the compaction issue and lets the water get to the roots easier as well as the nutrients form the top soil to the roots. Have a greener, healthier looking lawn. Probably would work with the spike style aerators, just use less sand/top soil to fill in the voids left by the spikes.
Just like the golf courses! The spike aerators just don't open things up enough, nor deep enough. Certainly is better than nothing, though!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here is a simple trial setup that worked well enough that I am in no hurry to change it. Would like to clean it up when it reaches the top of the priority list. Hopefully before fall aerating time.

As you can see, I simply bolted a sleeve hitch adapter to the tongue of the Agri-Fab wheeled 48 inch plug aerator, bolted a heavy piece of channel, ( angle would do) to the tray for down pressure, and a brace to the top of the sleeve hitch. Just pieces of scrap laying around!

Removed the wheels and the lift lever. All is such that it can be easily reassembled to original.
Yes.that was me..thanks for the reply.....did you fab up the 3PT yourself?Was it a kit or did you get it off another implement?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Yes.that was me..thanks for the reply.....did you fab up the 3PT yourself?Was it a kit or did you get it off another implement?
The sleeve hitch adapter was one that I had bent up when I bent the beam on an 8 inch mold board plow in blue clay down by my creek.

What some might call an "A" frame, is actually a "sleeve hitch adapter" to be used with "Brinly hitch" implements on the 3 point.

I would add that they are easy to fabricate for this type application. The only things you need to consider are the pins on the side and the center link mount on the top.

Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
magnum, that's pretty much the same aerator I have and it looks like you've done what I want to do to mine. is there a specific reason for removing the wheels and lever, was something in the way? I have a couple of neighbors that borrow mine and they only have lawn mowers, so they'd need to be able to use it as is.

·
In the Mud!
116 Posts
sarge,

Golf courses aerate twice a year for good reason. I use a plug aerator here in our CT clay and they work great, you just have to plan your aerating around the right combo of moisture. I used to aerate twice a year as the golf courses do, but now I just aerate in the fall, put down fertilizer, seed, and lime at the same time and the lawn looks better and better each year! :)
JDF, are you mixing all three at the same time? Take it the Lime and Fertilizer doesn't harm the seed? Is it a 1:1:1 mix?

:)

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
JDF, are you mixing all three at the same time? Take it the Lime and Fertilizer doesn't harm the seed? Is it a 1:1:1 mix?

:)
Sometimes I do. Lime doesn't harm the seed and the fall fertilizer application is just 10-10-10. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts