My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sears has a spike style aerator on sale, 36 inch with top shelf for weights. They had cinder blocks on the floor model. Which would you guys recomend? The spike, for a decent price, or the core style for double the money. I have just over an acre, only 1/2 is "real" lawn, the rest is more field grass then anything, but am toying with expanding the yard. Any opinion is welcome.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
i have a brinly spike aerator/drop seeder.. it works ok..
but everyone always says a core is better.. it definetly aerates better than the spikes..
(i bought it prior to asking opinions.. i wish id bought the core.. but the spike does ok)

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
From what I understand each is made for a different type of soil. If you have soft soil (black dirt) then the spike is better.

If you have the hardpacked almost cement when dry soil then you need the core aerator. But you will need to use it a day or two after a good soaking, either from rain or watering. I have the core type as my ground is very hard and compact when dry. I usually just leave the plugs of removed dirt on top and let them disolve back into the ground. I think when I do it this year I'll vacuum them up and see if that works better. I'm thinking the plugs just break down and fill in the holes if left behind and defeat the purpose.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
I am leaning more towards the spike, as i am going to be overseeding my lawn of weeds and more weeds.. The core looks like it will dig deeper than i want the seed to go!

HD and Lowes have a spike, but they appear to be flimsy in quality.. I was thinking of lightly discing the area with a 3pt disc on my N..

Opinions????

·
Administrator
11,857 Posts
I have the el-cheap-o small spike unit from Lowes. It is OK for what it is but I wish I'd got a heavier built core unit. The plastic bushings in the spike disks are starting to break already after two years use on less than half an acre. I put two cement blocks on it which should not be enough to break it.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,273 Posts
0906101828.jpg

0906101827.jpg

Spike aerator.JPG

I got this old sears spike aerator free from a neighbor, and it has 15 spike wheels on it- it is heavy enough to aerate with no weight on it, but I am gonna throw like 50+ lbs of block on it and see how it goes!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here in Utah the plug style works awesome. I don't think the spike would even penetrate very deep. The craftsman plug type is the one I have. I stole it from a guy who was relocating. It will pull a 3" plug if the soil is well watered. You think the cinder blocks won't be enough weight at first but they will be plenty.
GT8H

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the Ohio Steel plug aerator listed at Sears. I have used it for three seasons now and it have been a great tool. I did have to replace a tine and a spring. With extra weight, I creates nice plugs. I would do it again if I had to. Like GT18H mentioned, it does have to moist for the best plugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts