My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to aerate my lawn this fall then over seed. I am trying to decide whether I should rent one of those professional motorized aerators from a rental place or to just bite the bullet and purchase the Brinly 48" core aerator.

Those that have the Brinly....does it do a good job? Would it do as well as an aerator from a rental place?

My lawn is about 45,000 sq ft so a pull behind is sounding real appealing for this lazy boy as long as it does a good job.

Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Brimly core aerator and have really enjoyed it. You'll need some weight (I think it calls for upwards of 150 pounds). I throw a couple of 60 pound bags of dry mix on mine. Have used it for 7 or 8 years and never had an issue. Sure nice not having to fork over bucks to rent one each year.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I've got a Brinley 48 also. I run 4 42# suitcase weights in the tray and it pulls plugs out of my clay soil just fine. It's strong enough and it's well designed UP TO A POINT...

IF you will be crossing paved walks, driveways, patios often, I'd suggest looking for an AgriFab unit of the same size. AgriFab has the "travel lever" mounted within reach of the seat in the middle of the unit. The Brinley unit has the lever out of reach on the end. Getting off and on the machine every time I have to cross my driveway and walks and areas if subsurface rock ledge areas becomes a PIA.

Just something to think about as the Brinley is a decent working plugger.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wouldn't attempt using one of the motorized ones on anything over about 10k sqft. They can be a bear to turn around at times.

I just bought a used 48" Turf-Aire off CL that can be mounted on the 3PH or towed. The HD in my area rents a core type pull behind w/ wheels for about $45/day. Have not seen one in use but it looks to be a pretty stout unit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have used one of the motorized ones before and like other folks have said they can be tricky to turn and maneuver. Also, if you have any steep grades some units will not make it up the grade.

After my wife and I purchased our recent home I picked up one of the Brinley 48" pluggers to pull behind my X500. I live in an area that has a decent amount of clay and as long as you aerate at the right time with the soil not too wet or dry it does a good job.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I have the Agri-Fab and it does a good job. I stiffened up the drawbar so that it wouldn't buckle when backing it up. As for HH's suggestion of operating it from the seat, well... maybe if you're Popeye. You can lower it from the seat but with 150 lbs of weight on it, you won't be raising it from the seat.

You need to overlap on each pass and then do it again at right angles to get the number of cores per sq ft that most rental units would do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts