My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a pull behind aerator (plug style) for business and personal use. Because of an existing spine condition I don't feel like wrestling with a walk behind aerator but I want something that will do the same job.

First of all I am looking for what kind of results people have had with an attachment aerator and if it does a decent job.

Second what models you would recommend.

I like the John Deere model as it looks like it is fairly well made and I like the one built by Ohio Steel which looks to be well made and has spring loaded spoons.

The one that is very impressive is made by JRCO and aerates in a different way but has great results, electric up/down motor and you can go as fast as you want to get the job done. I guess they are used alot on golf courses. Getting one of these would be awesome but I don't think anyone in Canada handles them.

Your input here is greatly appreciated,

Derek

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Here's my writeup on a Brinley 48" Plug Aerator.

Nothing fancy like being motorized or springs or anything, and I only use it for home use. But the local yard service has one just like it that they drag behind their ZTR mower and that seems to work for them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have the John Deere plug aerator which is made by brinly and it does a good job. Nothing fancy but gets the job done

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help, I'm still waiting to hear from a local dealer on the Ohio Steel model aerator. I really like the Classen model as it looks very well made and would stand up to a lot of useage. I'm hoping that a good tow behind aerator will give the same results as the walk behind self propelled units.

Derek

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
Here's my writeup on a Brinley 48" Plug Aerator.

Nothing fancy like being motorized or springs or anything, and I only use it for home use. But the local yard service has one just like it that they drag behind their ZTR mower and that seems to work for them.
I also got the Brinley 48" but I painted it JD green before assembly.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
412 Posts
The Classen model is very well made. Very heavy duty= 42" 320lbs. with out adding weight.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the help, I'm still waiting to hear from a local dealer on the Ohio Steel model aerator. I really like the Classen model as it looks very well made and would stand up to a lot of useage. I'm hoping that a good tow behind aerator will give the same results as the walk behind self propelled units.

Derek
I have an ohio steel it realy works great it's made much better than others in it's price range I got mine at sears online this is the one I have
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07199706000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

they also have a newer one

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPA5772S674019901P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

·
Registered
459 Posts
Kinda of off topic but i rent walk behinds, only $23 an hour.
They do a much better job and much faster than pull types. Plus its one more thing i dont have to store.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Went and rented a Classen model 60RT plug aerator today.
http://classenturfcare.com/cl-aerators_tow_behind.asp

Did an outstanding job. Aerated my 1/2 + acre, and 4 other neighbors 1/2 + acre. Took about 1/2 hour each. OMG did this thing do a good job. Very hard & dry dirt (clay), 2"- 2 1/2", moist ground 3"-4". This is a very heavy duty aerator.
Dave

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
I have a precision Products 42" aerator that I am very happy with. It is an inexpensive plug aerator but has pneumatic wheels and a very sturdy draw bar. They used to have it on the TSC web site but it looks like they've replaced it with the Brinly now.

I agree, that Husqvarna looks rugged and well designed. Not sure I'd want to move it around with a bad back though, but that's true of any of these.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going to see how much the Classen one is worth here in Ontario as they are supposed to be available thru Home Hardware and the main store and distribution warehouse is 5 min. from me.
I don't mind spending the money on one that will stand up to working in a small business. So far all my contracts are to huge homes with enough work to keep me busy all day at 1 property.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yesterday when I was aerating one of my neighbors came over and looked at how I was doing. He got a Brinley 48" aerator from Home-Depot to do his yard last week. After looking at the Classen aerator & seeing the job it did, he paid me to do his yard over. He told me he was going to take the Brinley aerator back to HD as it was too cheaply made & did not do anywhere near as good, compared to the Classen.
Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
sorry to be so late to the party... still researching available info myself, so no direct experience..yet

from my reading, the brinley appears to be quite adequate for home use for turf that is reasonably in good shape. toolin has provided an outstanding writeup on this one, which is on my short list.

in the same style of the Brinley is the John Deere versions of the same ,apparently made by Brinley for JD, but heavier, more robust, and more $$.

the only reasonable attempt to close the gap between the results of the home aerators and the commercial ones appears to be the ohio steel 48cp with spring loaded tines. the "results" improvement appears to be that the spring loaded tines may avoid some of the turf tearing that happens when fixed tines enter and exit the ground. The 48cp, and the JDs in the same price range, appear to offer a substantial improvement in robustness over the sub-$200 aerators by agri-fab and others, but are still not positioned as for-hire tools made to work on very large and/or difficult turf.

The single drawbar design of the 48CP is still of some interest/question for me. i.e. whether or not it can stand up to backing up in tight corners next to a fence in a high angle jacknifej, for example. with the unit heavily loaded with weights, stress on the drawbar will be high, although one can always unload the tines while backing up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts