My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
luv old tractors
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Tyler and I am a tractor-holic. I have owned my first tractor for less than a year, and am looking to by another al ready!!!!! Is there a 12 step program somewhere? I don’t need this new tractor, in fact I did not need the ford 3000 diesel I bought. I created the need for the ford by buying a small farm for hunting with a friend of mine and we are operating food plots. All under the guise of a real estate investment!
Now my wife is not stupid but we do own many types of real estate and this particular property is a good speculation.

So here is the sell to the wife: I spent over $1000.00 this last year moving the ford tractor around to work on family properties away from the farm, it is very heavy tractor…. So I would like to get a small tractor that I can move myself. If this small tractor could be used to cut grass at my ½ acre city house then it would look even more attractive to the wife. Both my family and her family live in Richmond and all have gardens of some sort. I am tired of cutting grass with a push mower and using my crappy forward tine tiller…The trouble is that the farming/gardening doesn’t makes any money, but we do trade babysitting ect., and she loves fresh vegetables and flowers.

Having said that this new tractor needs to
1) Be transportable using standard pickup truck and cheep trailer(no electric brakes)
2) will be used in tight spaces, in the city, on small lots up to 2 acres. Must mow grass, plow, cultivate, pull bushes and grade to some degree
3) also will be used to support the ford at the farm…..

So the decision is between a ford 8N/9N vs. farmall A/farmall Super A….
Besides loyalties to brands has anyone used both? Does the farmall use of belly implements help it work in tight spaces? Which will turn tighter? How expensive and easy to find are the implements for farmall?
:duh:

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1: A 12-step program, I hadn't considered it until now! :sidelaugh

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I think that between the two choices you list, the Super A would be better. Maneuvering rear implements in tight spaces is more difficult than mid-mount implements, and there is a belly mower made for the Super A, so you can mow with it. It is lighter than a 8N also, so easier to tow.

But for what you describe, you might want to look at a large GT, such as a JD 455. They have 3 point lifts and rear pto's available that will take Cat 1 implements, they have enough power to operate rototillers, the mid mount mowers do a very nice cut, and they are even more maneuverable in tight spaces.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello Tractor Freak,
ou have already gotten som good advice, but if it were me I would look at a small Kubota like the BX 1860 or 2360 or even the small B series Kubotas. Maybe the JD 2305 or 2xxx series tractors with a FEL, MMM, Tiller and blade they are real handy and easy to change out implements and for you to move by yourself with the type trailer you mentioned. Good luck and let us know what you get.
Take care-TPS

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't have a problem moving my B 2320 Kubota with FEL and BH on a trailer with no brakes, and that's a lot of weight!

WB

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
tractor freak, welcome to MTF! Great advise on great tractors. Have fun looking around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts