My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone,

Am still looking for my first used tractor. Came across a Wheelhorse GT-14 and would like your input. I am looking for a tractor that I can put a box blade on to keep up my gravel driveway. I am told this is a 1972 with a hydro trans. No attachments no deck. Price tag is $500. What do you guys think? Can parts still be had for this and more importantly can I get attachments for it?

Thanks for your input.

:thanku:

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
$500 ha i wouldnt pay that.

the gt-14 was marketed as an industrial tractor, larger than a garden tractor. the sunstrand hydro trans in it is notorious for being expensive to fix. but other than that, i have heard good things

·
Registered
276 Posts
id look for a d series wheel horse i collect and deal in horses and only heard bad about the gt 14 but then some love them id go 250-350 for it with no deck and no 3 point as long as it runs and drives great

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok what about a Toro wheelhorse lawn tractor. Shift on the fly trains 10 hp motor. manual trains looks like a 38in cut for $250.. it is a newer one as it has the rounded body style...

Thanks

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
nope thats not heavy duty at all..

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Actually the GT-14 would be ok, but you would have to buy a 3 point if you could find one specifically for the GT-14 and you would probably have doubled your money invested.

You need something with a 3 pount or sleeve hitch and enough beans to drag it..

Cheapest way would be a MTD 990 with 3 point, cub narrow or large frame hydro with implement lift, maybe a 200 series Deere with manual sleeve hitch, any wheel horse with a manual lift, Sears Suburban with manual 3 point lift etc..

I just sold a sleeve hitch box blade to a guy for $40 to get it out of my yard since I have 2 and have never used either one. I bought it at an automotive swap meet 3 years ago for $20.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Let me give you my op on the gt14. It is a beast of a tractor. It weighs in at 900lb dry. I built a loader for one mine. I used/ abused it for 8yrs and its still going strong. I have moved over 250tn of fill and a lot of other tasks. Another has a OE loader on it is still good also. At 500 does seem a bit high w/no attachments though. Does it have the 3pt?.
Granted the hydropump does go bad on some if not maintained properly but that happens on anything. Out of the 9 gt14s I've had only 1 had a bad hydro.
The 10hp is rated as a lawn tractor. Good for cutting grass and maybe plowing snow.
If you want a dependable WH with lots of parts and attachments available look for a C/300/400/500 series. They dont have a 3pt but you can get a mid mount scraper blade or just use a snow plow. These can be had for a reasonable price and the same with their attachments.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
If you use a front blade, try dragging it backwards. It took me a homemade drag to level my drives after chopping them up with a front blade.
I actually have a rear mounted york blade on a GT-14 with 3 point now, but It needs an O ring where the shifter attaches..so I'm reluctant to advise it. I have a Deere 140H3 with a hydraulic 3 point but you wouldn't want to spend that kind of money.
Had a Snapper 1600 with 3 point and an MTD 990 with 3 point, both of which were ugly but cheap..I think they were about $150 each non running at the auctions. Sometimes you roll the dice & win.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't want to hijack this thread
ABC,
You can get the 3/4 oring from napa and if you need the other (NLA) let me know I have some in stock. You can also get a new Cam #5996 for $10(dealer) if needed, its a fairly easy repair.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I might need the info when I get time to take it apart. It doesn't look expensive, just a pain in the rear to get to. Apparently Wheel Horse started with an O ring and built a tractor around it.

·
16,813 Posts
My opinion -on that GT-14 is too expensive @ that price--with no attachments....You'd have to spend at least 1/2 that , or more for the rear three point hitch, which is pretty unique to that model...and finding on--though they do turn up.

Let us know what you decide.

glenn

·
16,813 Posts
Are you still looking??

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
How about this wheelhorse then.. looks heavy duty enough

ttp://newjersey.craigslist.org/grd/1860982261.html
It would help to know what you want to do with it there are heavy wheel horse tractor and light tractors all different kinds
there nothing wrong with the gt 14 its just a old tractor and most of the people that owned them did change oil grease and change the belts and they did last but if you do nothing to a tractor and I dont care what kind it is its going to go down hill fast.
So let us know what you are planning to use it for ?
O that link didnt work

·
16,813 Posts
That 'link' is now gone, Jerry--but I did find one on the 'net, if he was still looking.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts