My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have an old continental mower, identical to the mustang mower. if that helps. i cant find any information on this mower at all. i am not worried about history, i just want to get more speed out of it. the gear box only has forward, neutral and reverse. it has an 8hp Briggs and Stratton motor. i dont need it to do 40 mph. but maybe 20 to 25 mph. i read something about changing the pulley's but i dont know exactly what they were talking about. the shaft is vertical, if that helps any. please respond if you could give me any advice. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Changing the pulley on the motor shaft to a larger one will give you more speed . But it is harder on the engine/tranny and reduces pulling power and take off .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. would it put too much stress on it even though i am not cutting grass, and what about changing the pulley size on the tranny.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Putting a smaller one on the tranny will do the same as a larger one on the motor. I did exactly that a couple years ago on a home built 4 wheeler, that uses a lawn tractor rear end, .
Smiley

·
Registered
441 Posts
thanks for the info. would it put too much stress on it even though i am not cutting grass, and what about changing the pulley size on the tranny.
Think about it this way . Jump on a 10 speed bike and put the shifter in first . Easy to pedal , right? Now put it in tenth . Real hard to pedal , right ?

Works the same way when you swap out pulleys as mentioned . You DO put more strain on certain components by changing the pulleys for higher speeds . Mowing or not mowing doesn't make a difference on the tranny/rear end , but does somewhat on the engine ( hence the stutter/bog when engaging blades) . Pulley swaps can effect the whole drive train , including engine .

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
And BELTS especially!..everything I built from scratch that was too high geared,the belts always suffered the most!...Up in Smoke,like Cheech and Chong!.. I put "stepped" type pulleys,like a drill press has,
on one sit dowm mower I had,so I could just put the belt in whatever "range" I desired ,big one on the motor to small on the tranny for higher speed ,and small to big to get more power..beat being "stuck" with one gear!..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts