My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a 2.5 acre property on which the previous owner maintained a nursrey for flowers. He had a plot about 50x100 that he grew the flowers in. There was an irrigation systen set up with PVC pipes running along the ground, about 6-8 pipes running the length of the field with risers coming up to sprinkler heads every so often. Also he used lots of weed barrier, not the cheap plastic kind, but the "tarp" woven, seems to be everywhere. Well he passed away in 2001 and the field was reclaimed by nature. I want to use about half the plot as a garden,but I have to clean out all that pvc and weed barrier. I have no idea of the best way to do this. Tractor work is really cheap right now 30-40 an hour, and I would rather pay someone that try and work it with my DGS6500. So can it be done with a full sized tractor? What implements would be best suited to doing this, and what meathod?

·
Registered
3 Posts
lawnarjax, Doing any extensive excavating to this site could remove a large majority of the top soil. You might approach your soil conservation office for suggestions of the best way to reclaim the area while maintaining the least amount of top soil removal.
Not seeing the location and going only by what you've posted. This would be my best suggestion for reclaming the area and keeping top soil at a priority.

Joe

·
Registered
665 Posts
lawnarjax, Doing any extensive excavating to this site could remove a large majority of the top soil. You might approach your soil conservation office for suggestions of the best way to reclaim the area while maintaining the least amount of top soil removal.
Not seeing the location and going only by what you've posted. This would be my best suggestion for reclaming the area and keeping top soil at a priority.

Joe
Joes right about losing your topsoil. If you can find someone with a tractor equiped with cultivators(maybe a small-scale farmer that raises corn) they should be able to get most of the weed-block material pulled up where you can remove it and not loose the topsoil.

·
Registered
406 Posts
find a farmer that has a chisel plow, it will catch the stuff and pull it up. If there is stuff below that depth it won't matter if you leave it in the ground.

·
Registered
251 Posts
"You might approach your soil conservation office for suggestions" Having worked with that Agency for 34 years and retired last year I will just add this to the above suggestions. After you get the material out of your way you might want to put a quick cover back on the bare ground. I would recommend a small grain cover of millet (20lbs/ac) be broadcast or planted right before/during a good rain. This fall you can come back into the millet and broadcast another 20lbs/ac of rye or ryegrass, then mow your millet to about a height of 4 inches for a mulch for your rye seed - again before a rain. Then next spring you should have a nice seedbed to plant you a grass or garden into. Here is a picture of my son's 2.5 acres that was grown up in every weed growing in South GA this past year. We did part of the above recommendations and then broadcast common burmuda seed into the rye this past spring. I just cut the burmuda yesterday with my tag along mower. Here is a picture of his property. If you can see the adjacent property is still grown up in weeds.

Ron

·
Registered
660 Posts
You will find that you will be using all the plot for a garden. That is not all that large. The depth of the cloth will determine the method by which you remove it. If all else fales you can get out a pitch for and shovel and dig it out by hand. Sound like have a nice place Post some pictures. Your soil has a good head start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts