My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya bunch of Deere FREAKS!!!:fing32: I guess I'm just looking for some advice on what tractor I should be looking to purchase. I cut a 2 acre lot with some trees and a fairly steep ditch down by the road. I have been using a 314 for the last few years but she needs a break. Its time to upgrade to a new mower and in my spare time I will restore the 314. Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you want to replace the capability of your current machine you will need at least an x500 or more like a x700. If you just need it to mow I would go with an x320.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you want to replace the capability of your current machine you will need at least an x500 or more like a x700. If you just need it to mow I would go with an x320.
Welcome to the forum and

:ditto:

·
Super Moderator
16,487 Posts
To match the Capabilities with a New Tractor the Closest would be a X700 Model from the X700 series

Used But Later models I only Mentioned the 2wd models
425 Liquid cooled,carburator
445 Liquid cooled,electronic fuel injection
455 Liquid cooled,Diesel
X465 Air Cooled,carburator
X475 Liquid cooled,carburator
X485 Liquid cooled,electronic fuel injection
X495 Liquid cooled,Diesel
X700 Liquid cooled,carburator
X720 Liquid cooled,electronic fuel injection
X740 Liquid cooled,Diesel
Hope this Helps:thThumbsU

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Go for the X728SE and have fun with it. slkpk

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
X540 or one of the X700's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input! I just got home from the JD dealer, I think the X700 tractors are more then what I need. I like the X500!
Whats your thoughts on air or liquid cooling, power steering and 4 wheel steer?
necessary?

Thanks ya'll

·
Registered
310 Posts
Liquid cooled are quieter and theoretically should last longer, but are more complex and more to possibly break and have to fix.
Power Steering and deck lift add more convenient and easier to use. Same draw back as before.
4-wheel steer would be good depending how big the base of you trees are. You may not need it if they are large trees.
All depends on what you want to spend and be happy with. I think you will be happy with any x500 series.

·
Super Moderator
32,637 Posts
I would take my Power Steering over manual any day. Hydraulics are time-tested and very reliable. I wouldn't buy another tractor that doesn't have PS! I think you'd want to go for at least the 520. Not sure if AWS is a great advantage or not. Seems like the guys that have it like it and don't hear a lot of complaints so it must be pretty reliable. It does limit some of the attachments you can add without some modifications!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I have a X520 and love it. It just turned 285 trouble free hours.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would take my Power Steering over manual any day. Hydraulics are time-tested and very reliable.
So are liquid cooled engines. I did not mean to imply that they were not. But just like anything else the more parts you have the more can break. :fing32:

The x520 only has liquid cooling no hydraulics. x530 and up has it.

·
Super Moderator
16,487 Posts
X530 and X534 are air cooled Only LC right now is the X540. If it were me and I was Buying a X500 series tractor I would just Go with the X530 you still get Hydrulic lift and Power Steering. IF you going to Buy a X540 I figure at that Price $7,599 for $2,000 More a X700 with a 48 or 54inch deck is just a better deal. Back in 2003 if the X465 could have taken a 45loader I probably would have gone with it instead of a X485. But since it didn't I figured if I'm going to go with LC I might as well have EFI as well.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had my X500 for only 8 hrs then turned it in for a 530. Never going back to manual steer if I can help it. IMO LC engines offer no advantage over air cooled for most folks but they sure are quiet. If new is what and your not needing a locking diff the 320 would be a good choice but better to go a little bigger than needed.I would vote for the X500 family.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,643 Posts
If the 314 was doing all you need, and you want to make a "parallel" move, then go for the X5. 4WS doesn't impress me that much, lots of moving parts to eventually need fixing, for what benefits they provide. Liquid cooling is nice and worth considering, but another system to keep up with maintenance-wise. PS and hydraulics, to me, are in the shouldn't-be-without category. The X530 would be a great move, but don't get rid of the 314.

But if you think the X7 is too much, all I can say is-- don't test drive one, because then you'll have to have one.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Every one is right ( except possibly the X300 series suggestions) I thank my lucky stars I got one of the last X520's,( it feels as beefy as my old 318) but like I said they all have made good points.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Go for the X540. The power steering and tilt wheel is a joy and it makes maneuvering around a breeze. The hydraulics are great, the ride is very comfortable and the liquid cooled Kawasaki engine is very quiet. The tranny eats up hills as if they don't exist.

And as someone else said, maintain it properly and it will last for at least 20 years.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
I believe a X500 series would be suffient enough for your needs and cheaper!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow!!! This is GREAT advice!
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
Keep them comin! I think I will be buying early next week!
I will never get rid of my 314.......LOVE that machine!
I will also post some pics as soon as I get a new machine!
Thanks again to everyone!
And anymore advice would be great!:thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 58 Posts