My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace an old fixed deck mower with something newer that will do a better job with my hilly and bumpy acre of grass with lots of trees. I've gravitated toward Simplicity due to the reputation of the floating deck and cut quality.

My local Simplicity dealer has a 2012 Regent 44" as well as the new 2013 models of the Regent Ex 38" at roughly the same price. Both have the floating deck I'm looking for. The 2012 has larger tires and a little more HP, but my understanding is that the deck style has changed this year. Does anyone have thoughts on the differences I need to consider between these two as well as any quality issue to consider? Is the Simplicity the best option for cutting hills and bumps at the 2K price point? The additional deck size is nice but not really a necessity.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My 2007 Simplicity Regent with 22hp and 44 deck does not work out for me in all areas of my Yard. Becouse the mower deck is not hanging off the tractor adding weight to it and the tractor has to pull the deck it don't have enough traction to mow hills,ditchs or along side my raised driveway. I also have a Snapper L200 same tractor with the very same 44 inch deck only suspended with four deck wheels. This can mow everywhere and with the same quality of cut. I recommend you ask your dealer to try a Regent out on your lawn before buying. The Simplicity Regent is a very nice tractor but if theres some rough going you may want to upgrade to the Broadmoor for the extra traction.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I run chains on my Conquest all year long. They do less damage than spinning the turf treads. I do have some pretty difficult terrain to mow, and the automatic traction control isn't enough. The differential lock and chains do it for me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Regent is a frame hung deck with rollers, the Regent EX adds the free floating deck. The Regent also uses a hydro-gear trans-axle instead of the K46 in the Regent EX. In my opinion the Regent is just a lawn tractor in orange, the Regent EX is the lowest you can go and have the "Simplicity cut". With that said, I am not a fan of the K46 axle. If you are just going to mow an acre I am confident it will be fine, but if you plan on hauling you may want to look a little farther up the line.
My former K46 powered Deere had only limited traction issues and in those occasions I had it way over it's head.
The deck changes are probably in reference to the inclusion of retrofitted Murray decks into the line. The original left hand decks were very deep and they have been slowly getting shallower at each generation. I wouldn't sweat it too much, but in my experience deeper is usually better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts