My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a few months hanging out in the Lawn and Garden section I am starting to think about a CUT for some of my Spring projects. I am going to try and describe my intended use and experience as well as I can. Hopefully you all will have some recommendations to point me in the right direction.

I am a General Contractor doing Residential additions, remodeling, repairs, and some new construction. For years I have rented either a mini-ex or skid steer whenever needed for the job. However now that I am getting into tractor in general and some larger scale projects I am thinking a CUT loader backhoe might be the best machine for me.

One reason I am leaning toward the CUT is the versatility of the rear hitch and/or a quick disconnect on the loader. This way I can rent or down the line purchase attachments for post holes, seeding, soil prep etc. as I go. I would like to keep the machine plus trailer weight below 10k for easy towing. I think 4wd would be very helpful as I tend to get myself into "those spots" very often. Also I would like the machine to be used and less the 10k in price.

Being that I have been enjoying nothing but Case garden tractors I was originally looking into a Case 7020 LBH. I really like the set up of these machines and have gotten very comfortable with working on them. However I am not sure the 7020 will be big enough for some of my tasks. The biggest project I have in mind for this spring will be the site work associated with a 30x30 addition with a 4 foot deep crawlspace for the foundation. This would also include some trenching and digging for the septic and utilities. Anything bigger than this and I would still hire an excavator for the work.

Thanks in advance for the input and advice. If you need any other info on my plans please don't hesitate to ask.

·
Super Moderator
23,305 Posts
I looked up the 7020 on TractorData.com. Not much info regarding loader/backhoe/hydraulics specs. What little there was, along with 1 picture that I found, indicates that it is slightly smaller physically, less horsepower and slightly heavier (for the tractor alone) than my MF GC2310, the JD2210 and the Kubota BX25, which all have diesel engines. These are all SCUTs, sub-compact utility tractors. CUTs are a little bigger.

As a home owner, with or without acreage, a gas engine is fine. As a contractor, where fuel costs and service intervals affect the profit margin, fuel efficient and durable diesels make a lot more sense.

Check out the loader and backhoe specs on the above tractors and compare them to the 7020. For the 30' X 30' X 4' excavation, any of these tractors can do the job, given enough time. Reach and swing are the limiting factors for large area excavations for TLBs. The dirt has to be moved twice. For a contractor, time is money and you'll be further ahead renting an excavator. The rest of the intended tasks are within the capabilities of all of the above equipment.

There was less than 5 hours between your posts. Give us a chance. There aren't as many SCUT owners of all colours as there are for many GT brands. Check out the daily post count for John Deere SCUTs and GTs for comparison. It bugs us, too! But we've all learned to be patient. The info is there, it just takes a while for the right person to come on line.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
TUDOR has some good points, the other things I've noticed that you spec'ed were the price and weight. The weight shouldn't be a problem, most smaller CUT's are fairly light and even with a BH weigh in about 3-5k lbs, the price on the other hand might be harder to find....10k doesn't seem to buy much in the 4wd TLB CUT department. If you do find one in this price range its most likely going to have pretty high hours and possibly in need of some maintenance.

That being said I have seen a few older Kubota L-series TLB packages selling for 12-14k which appeared to be in decent shape based on the pictures, also the older JD 75x- 95x's seem to sell in that price range. Just remember that backhoes can be quite expensive to get back into shape if they have not been maintained for sit alot as there are a lot of pivot points and hoses to wear and deteriorate.

If you don't need it right away just keep and eye out for something to pop up, good luck and happy hunting.

Brad

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
I'm not familiar with this tractor but I've got to ask being a fellow Nutmegger, do we have a Case dealer in CT? Just asking as you are looking for a used machine and with them typically are associated more needs for parts and service. Happy hunting. :)

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
One would need to look at Easman Ingersoll for a dealer listing, as Eastman now is the name, as is Ingersoll. http://www.eastmanind.com/FINDADEALER/tabid/168/Default.aspx

JB- I use a Case 648 around job sites, and for getting into tight quarters it is great for backfilling and moving materials. Mine does not have a backhoe on it though, just a loader and some forks I made for it. I have never put a backhoe on it , as I feel a dedicated excavator is a much more suitable machine for digging around foundations and the like. Rentals are easy LOL.

I have used machines like a Case 580 ( wheeled loader / backhoe ) on sites, and they are great for moving materials around, or long trenching work. Keep in mind they get really long/ cumbersome on a house / addition site so if you have the room to swing them around , then great, a rubber tired combi unit might just be your thing.....

But, for anything like site work (topsoil stripping, excavating for the basement, foundation work) , I prefer an excavator and skidsteer combo working in tandem anyday.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Something else to think about.. your max lift height.. IF you have to load a tandem truck to haul the dirt away those little TLB's wont reach.. I had a JD 2210 with a back hoe.. Not enough reach.. for lots of things.. And yes they will dig well.. BUT time.. you need to add extra time, as they are a light small machine. If you need to use this equipment often for digging out foundations and trenching often. I would look at a used but not worn out JD50d excavator or something along those lines.. Time is money.. pay now with equipment or pay later with extra time using one of those small machines.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Tudor's doin' better than me as I couldn't even find a Case 7020 model in TractorData. It sounds awfully small, though.

For the kind of work you're talking about most contractors I know would have a 50-70 horse diesel tractor that weighed 5000 lbs (or so) without attachments.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Larry- here's a pic of a 7020 for 'ya.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
buy a Massey 1532....it works well : )

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I use my bx25 in a small landscaping business, great for little jobs...no way would I tackle a 4 ft deep 30x30 hole with it for profit, it'd likely take 3 days and if you hit any major rocks, well you'll be renting something bigger anyhow. As for renting 3 pt. equipment, I've only found a couple of pieces for rent locally here, plenty of skid steer equipment for rent though. On the other hand, if you can afford to purchase implements as needed they are much cheaper than skid steer stuff. With the budget you gave I would suggest a 35 to 40 horse CUT without a backhoe, rent an excavator when you need to dig.

·
Registered
199 Posts
"rent an excavator when you need to dig"

... or a contractor who has the experience and can dig that hole more quickly and possibly more cheaply considering the cost of rental time, hauling, etc.

That 30X30X4 hole is about +130 cubic yards of material- a lot of material to move with a SCUT especially if your soil is rocky. My driveway project required a contractor to move ~175 yards and 180 yards fill. There is no way my CUT could have moved some of the boulders out of the driveway's subsurface. One needed both a mini excavator and an industrial TLB to move. I have had no problems moving that 175 yards (minus boulders) ;).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok sorry for the super long delay. All of your guys great advice really got me thinking about what would be the proper equipment for me. You guys are right I was way off with the idea of using the 7020 on construction sites.

The delay is due to me researching the heck out of other options and hanging out on HeavyEquipmentForums.com learning about the new toys.
I reevaluated the actual needs for spring and the #1 money maker will be a Lull. At first this was disappointing as it would eat up my entire budget and I would have to pay to have it towed around. Then I checked around and found some great deals out there.
Then I found out it isnt too hard to get a CDL here in CT and a budy of mine is willing to help teach me. On top of that I have seen some more great deals on older single axle dumps with trailers, so I can tow the Lull to jobs myself.
Bu then what good is a dump without something to fill it and back to our original question. Since I will have the CDL, trailer and truck I wont have the weight restriction of my previous searches. I can get a full size backhoe and yet again there are great deals out there.
Thanks for the advice guys. I dont think a CUT will be right for me, but your advice was invaluable in getting me to where I needed to be. Now once the final details of these spring projects are wrapped up I can stop lurking on Craigslist and start picking up the new fleet of toys.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad we helped you spend bigger money :ROF:ROF:ROF
Definitely more money, 20k instead of 10k. But I think money much better spent. With this set up I will be able to make my money back quickly. Heck just the Lull itself would cost me 2.5k per month in rental fees, so 8 months of use and the whole package was free:trink39:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.