My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I essentially know nothing about Power Kings except that they are known to be powerful GT's and I'm thinking about purchasing one to use for pushing snow, dragging logs and mowing. I've come across one on Craigslist and the person who posted the ad did not list details about the tractor. See ad and picture below.

I've sent the poster an email to get more details but haven't gotten a response yet.

Any advice on how I should proceed is greatly appreciated.

Ad:
1940's Power King Economy Runs good. Snow Blade included. $800

Thanks,
Allen

Attachments

·
Still plays with tractors
2,284 Posts
Well, to start, it doesn't look too bad for the price. Looks like it has a briggs motor on it. I would love to know the serial number of the tractor but it looks as though it's been repainted and the SN tag is gone. I can tell you that it is not a 40s Economy, it's a late 60s and appears to be a Jim Dandy which is the smaller, lighter model. Let us know what the guy comes back with but, take it with a grain of salt. He already thinks he has a tractor from the 40s, who knows what else he may tell you.

·
2,284 Posts
Another thing you need to consider, this is a standard model which means it has hand brakes, no sheet metal over the drive train, no lights and no electric start unless that was added. Better take a look at what you are going to do with this tractor and whether or not you can live with no electric start and hand brakes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff,

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what the guy says about it and let you know. I am not inclined to buy one with hand brakes and pull start.

·
2,284 Posts
Well, from that angle I can't tell if someone put electric start on it or not but I do know it has hand brakes. I can see the handle right above the fender. The tractors with hand brakes are real fun to load on a truck.:eek:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had one of those, mine was a '53, very similar to that except no sheet metal. Rope start wasn't too bad, mine would usually start on the first pull. I bought the brackets and starter/generator to add to it, but never got around to installing them prior to selling it last year. Not a bad price at all for that one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts