My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ford 8N with an offset disc that I am using to turn over my ground to plan permanent pasture. I notice that the disc drags to the left substantially when disking. Also, it is very difficult to turn to the left when discing (much more easier to the right), but I always thought that you are supposed to make left turns while discing - is this the general rule? Is there some sort of adjustment that I can make to the disc? Also, when discing, should the tractor be in draft control (position control lever down) and what are the advantages of doing so?

Thx,
Pav

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
What size disc? Is it setting level so both sets of blades are cutting the same? Sounds like one set is cutting and the other isn't to be pulling that badly. Turning left only????? Maybe in Cali?

·
Registered
585 Posts
how old is disk perhaps some of the blades are starting to freeze up from sitting in weather

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pictures of the disc. Also, yes, I think I have stabilizer bars as part of the 3 pt. hitch.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
No picture showed up....

Just how sharp of a corner are you trying to make.. That gets rough on disk sets..
I see the picture Gerald. Looks like a fairly regular setup to me? Offsets usually don't turn too well and usually raised to make sharp turns. :trink40:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I see the picture Gerald. Looks like a fairly regular setup to me? Offsets usually don't turn too well and usually raised to make sharp turns. :trink40:
:ditto::ditto::ditto: what he said

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just so I understand the pull of the discs, if only the front gang were operating, the disc should pull to left (pointing the fron of the tractor to the right) and it would be hard to turn left; and if only rear gang operating, the disc would pull to right and it would be harder to turn to right -- correct?

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Not sure why the pictures didn't load the first time.. anyhow..

Looks to me like you need to lift the right side of your disks a bit, why i say that is the right side disks are a lot more worn then the left side disks. It takes a lot of wear to almost loose the notches on those front disks like that. Do you have a adjuster on your right three point hitch arm? If so i would tighten it up to lift the right side of the disks. You also have a lot of weight over and infront of those front disks, I can see why it would ride on those so much. I would try to lengthen out the top link. Even to the point of the rear disks touching first so they are pressed into the ground with some of the weight the front set has. Three point disks i find are fickle things to set up.. Yours are a nice heavy set just need some fine tuning.

Can you take a picture of how they sit when your using them? Use em and just stop to take the picture. Don't lift or lower any controls. Just so we can see what your dealing with on how much the fronts are digging in..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts