My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 3 year old Murray 18.5 hp 46" cut a few days ago. The only problem I have is that the drive belt tends to slip more often than it should (slight hill, taller grass, etc). Any suggestions? Can it be adjusted?

Thanks!

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Yes, it can be adjusted. There is a rod which attaches to the idler pulley for the belt. One end of it is threaded. Take it loose from the tractor and turn the nut in to tighten the belt. The big spring which attaches to the pulley should have a gauge rod inside it. The gauge rod should be flush with the end of the spring when it is tensioned properly. Remember, your belt may be worn out and in need of replacement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am having this problem with my Murray , and have adjusted the rod all the way to the end and the thing will still not go up hill . The belt is new and is the correct one , also it appears to be fitted correctly . Not sure what the year is but think it is around mid 90s Model # stamped on body under seat is unreadable . Any ideas .

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
I would check the motion drive idler pulley spring, it sounds as if its not keeping the belt tensioned. Is your machine gear drive or hydro?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I presume its hydro as there are no gears this is the first ride on mower I have owned and know very little about them :thanku:

·
Registered
83 Posts
If the mower has a pedal for forward and reverse then it is a hydro. If it is a hydro then you may need more hydro fluid. You should see if you can find an owners manual and it should tell you where to check, fill and what kind of fluid that you need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts