My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily commute is about 3.5 hours a day to/from work and time is limited.

I often try and keep the grass under control after work so I have the weekends to devote to another hobby, Restoring a '29 Model A Ford.

The headlights are much improved on the L 130 from my old Craftsman but I could use some additional lights.

Would the charging system of the L 130 support an additional 2 lights ?

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
I would have to say I believe it would as long as they are not high wattage, you should talk to a JD dealer about it and ask him for sure though, he could probably tell you what your system could handle. I use the AC outlet on my L120 to run a strobe light and regular sealed beam light off the rear of my machine during the winter months for snow removal and no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just this weekend installed two 35w utility lights on my LA135. I built a little bracket that utilizes the cargo mount holes on the top of the dash, then wired them up to run with the factory lights and it works great. I think I spent maybe $25 for the whole job and it turned out really well.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
teh charge system is 20A on a L130.

headlights draw probably 7-8A, PTO=?, the rest is to charge the battery. if you can get some decent driving/flood lights and NOT run teh factory headlights at the same time, you should be ok.

if you draw too much current, it will either pop the fuse or drain the battery. teh way it is wired, most likely the fuse.

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
teh charge system is 20A on a L130.

headlights draw probably 7-8A, PTO=?, the rest is to charge the battery. if you can get some decent driving/flood lights and NOT run teh factory headlights at the same time, you should be ok.

if you draw too much current, it will either pop the fuse or drain the battery. teh way it is wired, most likely the fuse.
Additional research after posting this msg tells me I should first replace the bulbs with an LED equivalent in the existing sockets and then see how much additional light this gives me. Then I should look at adding new ones.

A neighbor facetiously suggested 'night vision goggles'.. but this is about all a budget like mine could handle. http://www.eyeclops.com/

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
on mine the lights were plenty bright, but they did not have enough side to side width so they only illuminated a narrow path in front. i dunno if LEDs will do any better. also, pop the headlight assembly apart and give it a good cleaning. dust/dirt builds up easily in there and this kills the lumens.

BTW, i ran the headlights on my L130, a single rear driving light, and my electric sleeve hitch(highly recommend against this one!) and never had an issue except if the SH bound up. then it would pop the fuse and you stop. the carb has a solenoid on it, so when the fuse pops fuel gets shut off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts