My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
close enuff works for me
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

New addition on the storage shed ,never have enough room. Am adding 12x16 ,this brings me to 600 square feet total, which is the maximum size utility building allowed in my township.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice, I'll be watchin' this as the project moves along.

I gotta build me a shed. Going 10X12 cuz anything over that size would have to pull a permit, dont wanna do that.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
That's a great looking start. Your framing looks good. :fing32:

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
I'm unsure what size here you can build with no permit or be taxed on it--used to be 10x10 feet or 100 sq. feet,not sure if it has changed or not...what stinks is if you build a 12 x12 shed,you get taxed on the full footage..it would be fairer if they only charged you for the 200 sq. ft. over the "exempted" size,but they dont...

One guy on the other side of our town decided to put about 20 10 x10 foot sheds on his property in circular fashion around the edge of his property,instead of fences...he liked to collect stuff and after being told by the town he couldn't have piles of things in "plain sight" ,or face fines,he instead built all the sheds.---last I heard he was still battling the town in court over his property tax bill,they clain "ONE" shed is allowed,but there is nothing printed in the by-laws stating it...it'll be interesting to see who wins!..

I've been thinking of building a "shed" and instead of putting it in my yard,put it in place of my pickup trucks bed,make a "mobile home" out of it...since my "home" might be going away when my mom passes on,I will need SOME place to sleep!...I have all the lumber too,just not sure if I should do it or not...be better than sleeping in a tent or gutter..

·
close enuff works for me
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To build the 12x16 ,I needed a site plan permit $50, then a building permit $49. The building inspector also needed a complete list of material i was going to use and to build the shed, and had to spend 15 minutes talking to him on what I was building and how I was going to do the construction. 23 years ago when I built the original shed,the building inspector charged me $25, scribbled out a permit to stick in the window. He never asked what I was building ,other than "shed" and never bothered to inspect anything.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
I think its un-american to be charged money to build something on your own property...especially when one state has practically no building codes and doesn't require a site plan,permit,cost estimate,etc..."free" country huh??...could have fooled me!...

So,it cost you 100 bucks just to get "permission" to build,basically...that stinks,that would have bought a lot of lumber and hardware...sounds like here--back in 1992 when I erected my quonset garage, I had to submit a site plan,show how much the materials cost,etc--that is how they determine what to charge for the building permit...since the building cost a tad over 4 grand,I got away with paying the minimum 40 dollar fee,which didn't please the inspector much...(too bad!)..I even had the "conservation commision officer" come ask me where I planned to put the dirt I had to excavate..I piled it in the back yard,they weren't too happy about that,I told them I was going to eventually use it to grade around the building and house...

The inspector wanted to see the blueprints to check the snow load ratings on the building before he approved it,but he said it was more than adequate and had no complaints,but he did not like the idea of putting it on a floating slab,instead he insisted it to on a typical wall/footer foundation if it were to be concrete...yet he would have let me use peirs or posts instead,which would have been weaker and more troublesome ,plus it actually would have cost more than having a foundation poured,so I went with that style to avoid hassles..floating slab would have been my first choice,I felt it was a waste of money putting a "house" foundation under a 3500 lb metal quonset hut...but I had to obey the laws or else...:mad:

He also had fears I would be using the garage commercially because I wanted a 10x10 door,he said I couldn't store a semi truck in it "legally" or do any repairs on cars,being residentially zoned,which I knew...I only wanted it that height so I could park my pickup in it if I bought a slide in camper,or a motor home...(actually the building comes factory with a 11 x 12 door,had I bought the endwalls insyead of making them!)...

After I applied for the building permit,3 weeks later I got a "demand" notice from the electrical inspector,wanting to know who wired the building,and his license #--I called and told him I hadn't even broke ground yet!.."rolleyes:...I still haven't wired the building "permanently" and probably wont,been using an extention cord from the house to run the few lights and tools I use in it...

Our property taxes shot up almost 500 bucks after the garage was built--today its adding close to 1000...I feel thats a ripoff,but it is nice having it...but 4 years of tax was more than it cost to buy it too...:mad:...

·
close enuff works for me
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The T-111 siding is going on , I am working on the addition in the evening after working all day. There will be a double steel door in the wall facing the camera , for garden tractors to drive in. It is easier to install full sheets of T-111,and cut out the opening later.

·
close enuff works for me
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Started on the shingles , am going to shingle the entire shed ,the original shed is 23 tears old , doesn't seem like it was that long ago that I built it. Will have to call the building inspector soon .

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.