My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got this feldman turfvent aerator. it currently has 10 inch plastic wheels and i would like to upgrade to 10 inch pneumatic knobby tires/wheels/bearings. $5.99/each from horrible freight. the current plastic wheels have a 1/2 inch axle and are designed to pivot independently. the pneumatic tires have are designed for a 5/8 axle. i have 16 feet of 1/2 inch all thread i bought for another project and ended up not using it. i'm thinking i'll cut a 34 inch length of all thread and run it across the width aerator for a solid axle. i'll have to use a spacer of some sort because the pneumatic tires are designed for a larger axle. i'm thinking 5/8 copper tubing or the like. at some point i'l have to beef up the new axle with maybe some square or round tubing welded between the two pivot arms.

the reason i'm wanting to do a sold axle is because i feel it will be stronger. the current independent setup tends to sag and the wheels look like a V.

what do y'all think? should i just buy some 5/8 bolts, drill out the current 1/2 inch axle holes and leave the wheels independent?

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ooops, can y'all move this thread to the lawn und garden accessories? i accidentally posted it in the mtd forum.

thank!!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
How about:

Take a ~4" 5/8 bolt, pushed through an HF wheel, then a nut, then the bracket, another nut, then into some 1/2" electrical metal conduit to span the distance between the two wheels. 5/8" bolts fit quite snuggly into 1/2" EMT to the point that you have to kinda thread them in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts