My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add lights to the rear reflector of my new x590 tractor since I bought the snow blower attachment and might be using it at night. Does any one know if the red piece is glued in, or if it should just pop out? I applied a decent amount of pressure to remove it, but it didn't budge. I'm worried about breaking it, so I figured I would ask here to see if anyone else has removed the red piece. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My X500 lense which I think is the same as yours, is very firmly affixed to the plastic frame. Someone on this forum recently posted a real nice article on how he mounted LEDs in these fixed lenses and it looked totally professional. You might do a search on it. I recall that it was in the past 2 maybe 3 weeks at most.

If you are looking for work lights instead of red, then I'd go with auxiliary LEDs mounted separately, but that is just my opinion.

Good luck, let us know how you work this out on your machine.

·
4,166 Posts
I'm looking to add lights to the rear reflector of my new x590 tractor since I bought the snow blower attachment and might be using it at night. Does any one know if the red piece is glued in, or if it should just pop out? I applied a decent amount of pressure to remove it, but it didn't budge. I'm worried about breaking it, so I figured I would ask here to see if anyone else has removed the red piece. Thanks!

View attachment 2441964
Hi GameX86...looks like you are new here so let me extend a warm welcome. ......Would you stop n at https://www.mytractorforum.com/forums/introductions.72/ and introduce yourself to the other members and tell us a little about your tractors?.......as a side note there was a thread in the husquarvarna forum about adding lights and the use of a relay switch that you may want to do a search for...good luck with your machine...hope you don't need the snow blower that much ?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thanks, looks like this might be the one: https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/adding-tail-lights.1340267/, which links to an older post. Looks like they just drilled through the back instead of trying to remove the red cover.
Yes, that was the article. He did go through the back side with a little care. I don't think you can pry the lens out of the plastic frame without wrecking it. I had mine off about a year ago seeing how they were mounted, but I didn't get much farther. Your post has rekindled my interest in tail lighting so may just do it if I get a few warmer days out in the garage.

·
Registered
475 Posts
When I owned my X580 last year my wife was very concerned I would be hit while plowing snow at night. I also wanted rear work lights, extended electrical connections for other attachments, and a place to plug in my winch. Solved it all with a small waterproof box mounted behind the seat and waterproof connectors for the electrical outlets.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,791 Posts
Look up this thread and see if that is possible on yours:

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Sorry. I believe the guy who used to make the kit no longer sells them. you sent him your lights and he sent you the new ones complete plug and go.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry. I believe the guy who used to make the kit no longer sells them. you sent him your lights and he sent you the new ones complete plug and go.
I was fortinet to get a set from Jeff for my 2015 a few years ago. Great guy! It's to bad if he has stopped making them. He did such a great job, even the tech at my dealershop thought it was factory installed.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Well, if Jeff isn’t doing it anymore, let me know what he was charging and I might take a look at making an alternative. It would likely be only similar, but would give off as much light or more. Anyone have a spare set of reflectors lying around or at least part numbers?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, if Jeff isn’t doing it anymore, let me know what he was charging and I might take a look at making an alternative. It would likely be only similar, but would give off as much light or more. Anyone have a spare set of reflectors lying around or at least part numbers?
I have a spare set. But first let me make sure I can find them. Send me a pm and you can have them for the shipping cost.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have a spare set. But first let me make sure I can find them. Send me a pm and you can have them for the shipping cost.
Love to PM you, but with the new system, I don’t know how. ?
Wait, I may have figured it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MARK (LI), thank you for the welcome! I'll be sure to head over to that forum and introduce myself!

Alien5044, yeah, I tried again to remove the red lens with no luck. Looks like I'll be trying to carefully drill out the back and see if I can get some LEDs in there. Good luck! I'll try and post some pictures if/when I finish!

oldgibsonguy, nice setup! Are the white lights always on, or did you wire them up to only turn on when you are going in reverse?

I really liked how Jeff's lights looked, so was thinking of trying to recreate how he did the lights. Based on the picture in this video
(screenshot below), It almost seems as if he ran 3 individual LEDs to each reflector instead of an LED strip, since it looks like there are 3 pairs of wires coming from each reflector. I'm wondering if he used something like this? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H98XXVE/

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Alien5044, yeah, I tried again to remove the red lens with no luck. Looks like I'll be trying to carefully drill out the back and see if I can get some LEDs in there. Good luck! I'll try and post some pictures if/when I finish!
The red lenses (reflectors) are actually quite easy to remove. There are 3 "pinch tabs" located on the back of each reflector.
Squeeze them while pushing them back through their mounting holes. See photo of back of red reflector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I was able to remove the entire reflector without a problem. I was trying to remove the actual red reflector from the black piece.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I stand corrected. Now I understand.
Drilling it out from the back is a task that will require skills that I know I don't have.
I wish you luck! :)

·
IL X540
193 Posts
Use a dremel....trace the new light you are going to mount, dremel out the black plastic portion. Then glue the light in the new hole you dremeled out, remount the light/reflector, plug them in, and test them out! Not too hard. I did my mod probably 4-5 years ago. No problems whatsoever to this day...knock on wood!

I stand corrected. Now I understand.
Drilling it out from the back is a task that will require skills that I know I don't have.
I wish you luck! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts