My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased (23 May 19) a new 33" snapper (classic) with 15.1 engine. I would like to add an hour meter to it
but not sure where the best place would be to mount it and where to connect wires. I have a 2013 "turtle" style snapper and had hour meter installed
on it - I am trying to sell my 2013 snapper - Reason I got the 2019 is that it can lift on rear bumper for cleaning.
I wonder how much the new snapper weighs?

https://www.amazon.com/Docooler%C2%AE-Hourmeter-Tachometer-Engines-Rectangular/dp/B00V9JHX38/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=hourmeter&qid=1559044648&s=gateway&sr=8-20

Butch

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,997 Posts
Most likely there is a wire running to a solenoid on the bottom of the engine carb, I would tap into the terminal or wire supplying this lead for the meter. As for mounting I have no idea what type of mounting the meter has but I would locate it on the panel under the right side under the seat.

Walt Conner

·
4,894 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
The hour meter/tach combination is available from aliexpress also. I have purchased five, I think. They have resettable 'service' intervals, show the rpm when running, and display the total hours/tenths when off. It will take a week or two for them to show up, perhaps longer. Cost about $6-8, to your mailbox.
They come with a pair of zip ties and an instruction sheet. Battery is expected to last several years. There are models that have replaceable batteries at higher cost.
The tach function is settable for number of cylinders/2T/4T, etc.
The wire that is wrapped around the spark plug is over a meter in length. I thought about running the wire through the central beam of the Snapper, but have decided I would not want it by the controls as there's no good place(IMO). I think I'll put it back by the engine, perhaps on the cooling shroud, using two-sided tape. I don't need to watch the tach when mowing, though it might be interesting for a minute or two.
I would suggest using tape or bread-tie wires to secure the meter wire to the sparkplug wire.

tom

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I also bought a dozen timers that look like the one in post #3 from China, a couple were DOA when I eventually went to use them, and foolishly tossed them. Now, for the last couple that have failed, I've pryed the back off, resoldered the battery connections and glued the back on, and it's working again. All the hours are lost, and it has no way to set accumulated hours, short of making a pulse generator and connecting to the timer for whatever hours you want to set it to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would a wire connection at the ignition switch have to be done or necessary. I'm more interested in wiring in an analog meter such as this
https://www.amazon.com/Aimilar-Mechanical-Hourmeter-Generator-Motorcross/dp/B01E06V7QK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hourmeter&qid=1559852744&s=gateway&sr=8-3

1. Trying to figure where to mount it.
2. Would have to locate a hot wire to splice into
perhaps inside one of the wire bundles under the seat.
3. I prefer this type meter as it is analog and no risk to
a reset nor any batteries required.
4. Looking for wire schematics for this mower.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I do not know of any powered 'accessories' used by the Snapper, so Walt's suggestion of tapping into the ABF solenoid for 'on time' power is about the only thing that IS powered and switch controlled.
The ignition switches on Snappers for the most part just ground/un-ground the ignition, with un-grounded enabling the engine to run.
Good luck trying to find a schematic, please report back if you do. I mapped out what I could years ago on a series 8, trying to figure out why it intermittently just stopped, and was sometimes very un-startable. A kill mechanism was failing, FWIW. But I did not find a schematic.
Have fun on your 'go-kart' mower. The steering on them is so quick, it's like driving a go-kart.
tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not know of any powered 'accessories' used by the Snapper, so Walt's suggestion of tapping into the ABF solenoid for 'on time' power is about the only thing that IS powered and switch controlled.
The ignition switches on Snappers for the most part just ground/un-ground the ignition, with un-grounded enabling the engine to run.
Good luck trying to find a schematic, please report back if you do. I mapped out what I could years ago on a series 8, trying to figure out why it intermittently just stopped, and was sometimes very un-startable. A kill mechanism was failing, FWIW. But I did not find a schematic.
Have fun on your 'go-kart' mower. The steering on them is so quick, it's like driving a go-kart.
tom
Thanks for the info. BTW, what is ABF? A brand name?
Sounds like the starter/ignition switch is not relevant in wiring in the meter i.e., no additional wire(s) added to the starter switch.

Butch

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Some carburetors are fitted with a fuel blocking solenoid. It does not stop fuel from flowing into the float bowl, but blocks fuel being fed to the main jet. With the main blocked, the engine cannot run above idle speed, if that. The purpose is supposed to be to prevent backfire upon shutdown. Thus ABF - AntiBackFire - solenoid.
There is reference above to an 'afterfire solenoid', but I have not really looked closely.
tom

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
The hour meter/tach combination is available from aliexpress also. I have purchased five, I think. They have resettable 'service' intervals, show the rpm when running, and display the total hours/tenths when off. It will take a week or two for them to show up, perhaps longer. Cost about $6-8, to your mailbox.
They come with a pair of zip ties and an instruction sheet. Battery is expected to last several years. There are models that have replaceable batteries at higher cost.
The tach function is settable for number of cylinders/2T/4T, etc.
The wire that is wrapped around the spark plug is over a meter in length. I thought about running the wire through the central beam of the Snapper, but have decided I would not want it by the controls as there's no good place(IMO). I think I'll put it back by the engine, perhaps on the cooling shroud, using two-sided tape. I don't need to watch the tach when mowing, though it might be interesting for a minute or two.
I would suggest using tape or bread-tie wires to secure the meter wire to the sparkplug wire.

tom
Zip tie won't have the wire in it which could affect the reading.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
Mine looks a lot like Mark's. It has its own battery which claims to be good for 10 years. I've gotten 6 so far.
Mine, too, has 6 - 8 years on it. Not much current draw for sure!

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Mowergene:"Zip tie won't have the wire in it which could affect the reading. "

I do not understand. The zip tie I expect was to be used to fasten the meter in place. The wire that wraps onto the plug wire will almost hold its shape when curled, but not quite, and will likely un-ravel and start to slop around. I would not use a zip tie for the wire as I figure it would be harder to use than electrical tape...
I guess I don't understand the comment, basically.
tom

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
Mowergene:"Zip tie won't have the wire in it which could affect the reading. "

I do not understand. The zip tie I expect was to be used to fasten the meter in place. The wire that wraps onto the plug wire will almost hold its shape when curled, but not quite, and will likely un-ravel and start to slop around. I would not use a zip tie for the wire as I figure it would be harder to use than electrical tape...
I guess I don't understand the comment, basically.
tom
It was suggested to use tape or bread tie wire to connect the sensor wire to the spark plug wire.
Wrap the wire around the plug wire. Take the end of the wrapped wire back to the beginning of the same wire and TINY zip tie together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Having installed a number of these, I've found wrapping the sensing wire around the sparkplug wire several times, putting the end of the sensing wire near the wire going to the hour meter, then a zip tie around both the spark plug wire, the end of the sensing wire and the sensing wire going to the hour meter, works well. It holds the wire on and in place, and the zip tie can be cut off without damaging the sensing wire or the spark plug wire.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
Having installed a number of these, I've found wrapping the sensing wire around the sparkplug wire several times, putting the end of the sensing wire near the wire going to the hour meter, then a zip tie around both the spark plug wire, the end of the sensing wire and the sensing wire going to the hour meter, works well. It holds the wire on and in place, and the zip tie can be cut off without damaging the sensing wire or the spark plug wire.
That'll work. I've got some tiny zip ties that will grip and take up no space. Not that you're restricted for space here, but the larger ones are kind of bulky for this application. Tape would heat up next to the engine, gum up the wire and not hold indefinitely.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
OOooookaaaaaaaaay. Now I get it. The meter came with a couple small zip ties, and I assumed... they were to hold the sensing wire around the plug wire. Oops.
Well, now I know, and the picture/sketch above was worth 1k words. Thanks.
I believe I will try double sided cushy tape to attach the meter itself.
tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts