My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted earlier, I'll be trying liquid filled AG tires on my two wheel X720 this winter.
I have a sloping blacktop drive and be using rim weights, 6 suitcase weights, all WITHOUT using chains.

My plan B (as last resort) to add chains on those big liquid filled Ag's that I purchased at the time of buying the blower.

I would normally remove air in tires before tighten chains, but impossible w/liquid.

What's the best/easiest method to add chains to those big liquid filled AG's?

Just get them as tight as possible?

Your opinions are welcome.

Cheers!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Guess I don't understand why it is impossible with Liquid in the tires to let the air out first? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I don't understand why it is impossible with Liquid in the tires to let the air out first? :dunno:
I meant because of the liquid in the tires, they can't be deflated completely
to add chains.

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
As I posted earlier, I'll be trying liquid filled AG tires on my two wheel X720 this winter.
I have a sloping blacktop drive and be using rim weights, 6 suitcase weights, all WITHOUT using chains.

My plan B (as last resort) to add chains on those big liquid filled Ag's that I purchased at the time of buying the blower.

I would normally remove air in tires before tighten chains, but impossible w/liquid.

What's the best/easiest method to add chains to those big liquid filled AG's?

Just get them as tight as possible?

Your opinions are welcome.

Cheers!
Well I don't think you will be Needing chains But if You do find Chains with Lever Locks and You won't Have a Problem Putting them On http://www.tirechain.com/2006220.htm I have Lever Locks for my Tire Chains on my White GT2055 and that was OEM from MTD

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Mike - How much do you have invested in the second pair of tires (Ags) and wheels, fill, weights, chains, ... I'm starting to think you might really have been better off with a X728 for $1,300 more than the X720.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Could have saved more than that if you just use a hand snow shovel! :p

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike - How much do you have invested in the second pair of tires (Ags) and wheels, fill, weights, chains, ... I'm starting to think you might really have been better off with a X728 for $1,300 more than the X720.
$200.00 for 1 yr. old Ag's on JD rims. Rims slightly rusty around the mounting holes, but not anymore.

Wouldn't need 4 wheel drive enough to justify the cost, especially for mowing lawn and a lot less maintenance.

Besides IMO there's to much machinery under the X728 for me to go wrong down the road.

Love my plane-jane X720.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Could have saved more than that if you just use a hand snow shovel! :p
True but where is the fun in that?:dunno:
Also, I don't have the 2 hours per snow to shovel or the time to spend in recovery after a heart attack...:crybaby::fing32:

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
$200.00 for 1 yr. old Ag's on JD rims. Rims slightly rusty around the mounting holes, but not anymore.

Wouldn't need 4 wheel drive enough to justify the cost, especially for mowing lawn and a lot less maintenance.

Besides IMO there's to much machinery under the X728 for me to go wrong down the road.

Love my plane-jane X720.
That was a great deal. For that I would have them too.:trink40:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was a great deal. For that I would have them too.:trink40:
OPPS sorry Poeny, there's some windshield washer fluid for the AG's to add in for cost.

I don't have the true price per gal. in front of me, but they were 1/2 price in
water soaked containers from a roof leak at a Sam's club. :fing32:

·
Registered
84 Posts
So its my first year with a blower on my tractor. I have wheel weights and chains. How much of a difference will adding liquid to the tires make?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
So its my first year with a blower on my tractor. I have wheel weights and chains. How much of a difference will adding liquid to the tires make?
Sounds like you are set up pretty well so it probably wouldn't make any difference if you have no problems with your current setup. :trink39:

·
22,332 Posts
When you have the blower in transport position, quite a bit. Not so much for blowing, but you will notice an improvement there as well.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I have never deflated my tires to install the chains. Just put 'em on as tight as you can get them and then after running around with it for a while they will "settle in" and you will be able to tighten them a bit more and you should be good to go. After you have installed them a couple of tiimes you know when they need to be adjusted but I have never had to do it more than once. once they are where they need to be make sure you take a couple of zip ties on each side and tie back the extra chain. That is where I have had the most problems. Those things will find things to catch on - branches, brake rods, almost anything that ain't flat and then some

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have never deflated my tires to install the chains. Just put 'em on as tight as you can get them and then after running around with it for a while they will "settle in" and you will be able to tighten them a bit more and you should be good to go. After you have installed them a couple of tiimes you know when they need to be adjusted but I have never had to do it more than once. once they are where they need to be make sure you take a couple of zip ties on each side and tie back the extra chain. That is where I have had the most problems. Those things will find things to catch on - branches, brake rods, almost anything that ain't flat and then some

:thanku:

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,430 Posts
You could always try going without them, but them you'll need them. If you buy them and put them on the shelf, then of course you won't need them. Either way I bet your X720 will do better than the X540 did - Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Either way I bet your X720 will do better than the X540 did - Enjoy!
Thanks it has so far.

Just can't believe the difference in engineering between the two.

Ex. removal of the shaft driven 54" mower deck.

#1 raise deck.
#2 turn guide wheels.
#3 disconnect drive shaft.
#4 lower deck and disconnect front bracket.
#5 Raise deck pull out from under tractor.

No center locking pins/brackets/bolts to remove.

Amazing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts