My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to go ahead and get a sprayer for my new ride. I have a few questions and I'm sure there's lots of help available. Check my signature to see my rig and help me decide what's gonna work and be the most cost effective for my needs if y'all would please.

I want to kill weeds in a 300' gravel drive, spot spray for weeds in a 750sf paver patio and a 25' paver sidewalk. I have a steep roadbank (maybe 6-800 feet) that I'd like to kill the weeds on to save trimming time and right now We have 7 fruit trees but we'll be adding more later and I'll need to do all the spraying relating to those. My questions are;

How many gallons?

Electric pump or PTO?

Tow behind, 3PH, or skid?

Best brands? Retailers?Recommended prices?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Man this is FUN :bannana:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I currently have a 40 gallon Fimco trailer sprayer with electric motor which does a good job around my yard. I would go with a 40 gallon 3PH roller pump sprayer because of the fruit trees. The roller pump will give you more consistent PSI, should have less clogging issues, better longevity and better tank agitation action using your bypass for liquid fertilizers. Also get yourself some neutralizer to wash out the tank, hose & spray wand when switching to your tree spray. Keep your pump washed out, clean after every use and it will last a very long time. Go to teejet.com and look at all of the different tips for your application. slkpk

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
You definately want a 6 roller PTO pump for the fruit trees and may want to upgrade to a better spray wand. Mine runs easily 100 PSI at 2000 rpm.

PM me if you are going to try and spray without being on the seat. The motor will shut off when you get off the seat with the PTO on. I have a $ 7 fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have this one from Bell Inc. 55 gal 10ft boom with wand that works really well. My 2520 carries it no problem. uses TeeJet nozzels. Plus its already green and yellow......

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have three sprayer set up for different applications......
1. A 80 gal PTO driven Hart with 12' boom for field, pastures, and road spray.
2. A 15 gal electric pump on the bed of a 6x6 Polaris Ranger for spot spray.
3. Number of back pack sprayers for around the garden and walk around sprays.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
PM me if you are going to try and spray without being on the seat. The motor will shut off when you get off the seat with the PTO on. I have a $ 7 fix.
c5,

He has a 2520 which doesn't have the seat switch issues you do. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have this one from Bell Inc. 55 gal 10ft boom with wand that works really well. My 2520 carries it no problem. uses TeeJet nozzels. Plus its already green and yellow......
That's a slick looking unit. I checked their site but it doesn't mention where they sell them or a cost.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Michael,

Thanks for catching that! :)

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Roller Pump Maintenace

Flush the Pump After Each Use
One of the common causes of faulty pump performance
is “gumming” or corrosion inside the pump. This
prevents the rollers from moving freely in their rotor
slots. Flush the pump with a solution that will neutralize
liquid pumped, mixed according to manufacturer's
directions.
To Prevent Corrosion
After cleaning pump as above, flush it with a 50-50 solution
of permanent-type automobile antifreeze (containing a rust
inhibitor) and water. A rust inhibitor can also be squirted into
the ports of the pump. Turn shaft several times to draw
protective liquid through pump and coat entire inner surface.
Drain pump and plug ports to keep out air during storage.
For short periods of idleness, noncorrosive liquids may be
left in the pump, but air must be kept out. Plug ports or
seal port connections.

How to determine which pump you need...;)
http://www.rollerpump.info/roller-pumps/index.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's a slick looking unit. I checked their site but it doesn't mention where they sell them or a cost.
They are really in the LARGE sprayer business but do have these small ones, 55 gal cost about 1k comes complete with roller, filters regulator and wand. Wand will spray fan or stream pattern and boom sizes are whatever you want. they also can set it up for boomless spray. If it had a retractable reel for the wand and a drain valve it would be perfect. I dont know of any dealer network just bought it directly from Bell Inc. in Mississippi.

:thanku: for the props!

mark

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
That looks real similiar to mine. I added a 43H tree wand for the apple trees. That was about an extra $ 100. BTW, I had to add a drain in the bottom hose before the pump to aid in cleaning it out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Heres a link to the 62 Gal one I bought. Has 7 Delavan Quickjet nozzles on a 12ft breakaway boom, 6 roller pump and a single lever boom shut off. I am going to update it with a TeeJet electric boom control system that has a control head that can control 3 boom sections as well as a rate controller. Bought it at an auction for a buck so what the heck. I like the quickjet nozzles as I have abt 200 of them again brand new in bags from an auction 2 years ago. The sprayer complete was $1100.00 cdn which seems comparable to the 55 gal units in it's class on your side of the fence.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Top of the line. :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
JD sprayers, as stated before, are top quality. As with any sprayer, flush it with water before putting it away and make sure you blow out the pump and lines with air before cold weather comes. Pumps are expensive. PJ

AND, it'll match your nice shiny green tractor!

·
Registered
65 Posts
You probably have already got one...TSC has a small 15 Gallon 'lectric that I made a 3 pt hitch for....I wired it into the existing hookup on the rear of my BX1860. I have 2 acres that I "farm" and around the house type spraying. It work really well for what I need. I bought it for $110.00 on "sale" (yeah right)...
If I need to increase my spraying capacity or valume I will get a roller pump to put on the rear PTO. These work realy well and are less than $100.0 for the smaller ones. I can get a 100 gal tank for less than $100.00 too if I am patient.
I do some metal ffabrication and build most of the things I need from scratch like the platform to haul the 15 gallon....
Good Luck. T

1 - 17 of 17 Posts