My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the purchase of a JD 425 with rear pto and cat 0 3 pt hitch (pic attached)
I assume that I will not be able to locate JD 450 tiller and will need an aftermarket unit.
I've never owned a machine with a rear pto or 3 pt hitch, how can I tell if a tiller attachment will fit the 425?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Looks like you are missing some pieces, PTO stub shaft, lower lift arms, top link, at least.

It looks like the 540 RPM PTO on a 425 is a standard PTO. I think you can get limited cat 1 arms, which would fit a standard tiller that isn't too heavy or too tall.

Pictures and more info here:

·
Super Moderator
13,478 Posts
You might have to watch for a little bit, but you should be able to find a 450 tiller out there. Granted, you might have to buy a machine with the tiller and resale the machine itself.

As mentioned it does look like you are missing a couple parts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Noticed a 450 tiller near Philadelphia posted on Craigs List 2-3 days ago. Not mine.

·
Super Moderator
13,478 Posts
Thanks, I saw that too. It is missing the skid plates. I wonder how hard it would be to replace those?
The skid plates were/are optional. I have a set for my 42 hydraulic tiller and I have never used them. The depth stop on the tractor does a good job at regulating depth if desired. The skid shoes themselves are part number M115872 and are $300 each!!! Most tillers do not have them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The skid plates were/are optional. I have a set for my 42 hydraulic tiller and I have never used them. The depth stop on the tractor does a good job at regulating depth if desired. The skid shoes themselves are part number M115872 and are $300 each!!! Most tillers do not have them.
Thank you for that information, I appreciate it. I've never seen one without skid plates/shoes before.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
42-inch hydraulic tiller. If you buy the 425 you may want to research those. (M04390X######) JD parts catalog - PC 2697.
Think there is/was a type that operated from a 425/445/455 rear pto. Finding that and all the necessary parts/pieces would probably not be easy either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts