My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to add an oil pressure gauge to my X540. There is not a whole lot of room to fit one in. A standard 2-1/16" gauge was simply too large. Adding a gauge beneath the hourmeter/fuel gauge on a flat area, was not an option due to the tilt steering.

I ended up having to get a mini three gauge setup, and just use the oil pressure gauge from the set. Went with Equus gauges, because they have a threaded collar that secures the gauge, as opposed to a bracket.

Made a template to position and eyeball the location for the hole. Like I stated, there is not a lot of real estate to work with. Positioned the template between the throttle panel and the hydraulic lift handle. Marked the center and took out the 1-1/2" hole saw and drilled away. I then opened the hole up with a rat tail file. I had to shave a bit off one side of the hydraulic lift handle, on a portion that is buried under the dash. There simply was no option there. The opening was as close to the steering wheel as I could go and as close to the throttle panel as I could go. In the end, it fit perfectly.

Removed the pressure switch, installed a tee, and then added the fitting for the lube line and reinstalled the pressure switch.

Here's the results. The photo showing pressure is at full throttle with a cold engine.

Attachments

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Stash,

Nice work!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good job! It's true that the hardest part of installing a gauge on a John Deere dash is finding the room....but you did great!

Now you KNOW what's going on inside your engine!

·
Banned
587 Posts
Very nice and good work on the modification. I'm in the process of doing my 345 the same way. You are right about the room to add the gauges. I hope there is one or more John Deere instrument panel engineers reading these upgrades. Maybe they will get the idea to change their thinking on future tractors.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very nice and good work on the modification. I'm in the process of doing my 345 the same way. You are right about the room to add the gauges. I hope there is one or more John Deere instrument panel engineers reading these upgrades. Maybe they will get the idea to change their thinking on future tractors.

Indeed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agreed Stash, nice work!!

I doubt that the design engineers will take into consideration the aftermarket "accessories" we wish to add. They are trying to make the tractors as compact as possible (we're not driving a '54 Buick, after all). They also are not likely to add an oil pressure gauge at the factory since 90+% of the users do not want or need one (or even care about it). So the cost to "satisfy" the small minority can't be justified. There is an oil pressure switch there, and although I've not reviewed the schematics, it is likely a shut-off if the oil pressure drops while the engine is running. That is plenty for that 90+% of buyers. :(

·
Banned
587 Posts
Might be true about the 90+% of the buyers who don't care what they get/have when they purchase a $4,000-$12,000 machine. Those 90+% grew up looking at a digital number, or idiot light. Which, in my book the engine has lost it's oil pressure, temperature the engine is toast by the time the reading shows the score. In the last few years some automobile manufacturers have switched back to gauges for the simple logic they have the 100,000 plus miles warranty now. If push come to shove, I would bet the cost factor in adding gauges to a lawn tractor is equal to the idiot lights.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey guys....if they won't spend $0.25 for a drain plug on a K46 hydro unit they are not going out of their way to add the additional cost of providing you with an oil pressure gauge on the X540! JMHO! :banghead3

·
Registered
84 Posts
Has there ever been a JD GT that came with an oil pressure gauge? I don't think they will put one in cause of a post on the internet. GregM

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, and you are living in America the throw away society, and what is left of it.
Which models? I remember our 78 316 didn't have one, or my dads 92 425.
I'm too young to remember if his 120 had one though. I was only 5 when he got the 316. GregM

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I can't remember a JD L&G with an oil pressure gauge. An ammeter maybe.

I know they have never used sensors to shut off the engine due to high temp or low oil pressure. You might be on a slope or crossing railroad tracks was the reason I've heard. I know the 400-series (and likely the X7's) will shut down the PTO if they overheat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts