My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a listing for two 318s with decks and power flow baggers, one has low compression on one cylinder, went and looked at the low compression one, guessed to have around 600 ish hours on it, hour meter says 115. The Previous Owner said one side only had 60 psi compression. Tractor runs and it even looks great, looks like a good candidate for engine overhaul.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Looks good :fing32: But I agree with HeyYou where's the other one?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He owned them both, I bought this one because of the price, he still has the other one 2 decks and 2 power flows for sale. Nothing wrong with the other one. He wanted 3800 for everything, and I only wanted the one tractor. Extremely nice guy, I can give our the information via PM if someone is interested. I plan on repairing this one to have as a back up to my 322. Has the P218 in it, any insight on common issues on these Onans that cause low compression?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
If you can get your hands on an air compressor, and a cylinder leakdown gauge set, hook it up, and have a listen, you should be able to hear where the air is going.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a compression tester, and an air compressor, I will have to see if I have a leak down tester. good idea, I figure it is something simple, or rather hope it is.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I'm going to take a wild guess and say it is head related - gasket or something like that. With 600ish hours - it almost doesn't seem likely a cylinder issue.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IA-Green kinda what I was hoping for

KDL - thanks

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I have a compression tester, and an air compressor, I will have to see if I have a leak down tester. good idea, I figure it is something simple, or rather hope it is.
If you don't happen to have one... check with your local auto parts stores, they may have one you can rent for a bit.

·
Super Moderator
33,699 Posts
Tony, looks like it's in pretty decent shape! Normally valve or rings for compression issues. Now is the time to buy that fancy inspection light at Home Depot (TV camera one) and stick it down the plug hole and have a look around!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A guy at work has a bore scope, a real nice one, another good idea I will have to borrow it from him. Thanks for the idea

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
tntfarms... is this 318 the one on Cincy craigslist for $3800? I sent the guy an email asking if just the one 318 could be bought and what price. I guess I wasn't aggressive enough in keeping dialogue going.

Good looking!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Royalton10. It may be advertised there also I found it on Dayton Springfield Craigslist

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Done a compression test 125 on the left 0 on the right. I then done a cylinder leak down check on the right side, found air leaking through carburetor. Removed tin and R side head, the cylinder looks good. I cranked it over and the piston doesn't move so I have a broken rod. I am going to pull the engine and see what the other side looks like to see if the block and crank are still any good. Maybe a repower thread in the future. *very distant future*

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well a lot has happened since my last update, I pulled the engine and found the right side rod was shattered. The crank had some aluminum transfer, the cylinder was great. I found a good piston and rod. I cleaned the aluminum from the crank it cleaned up real nice. I cleaned everything else up and assembled the engine with the new to me piston, new head gasket, new bottom cover gasket, new spark plugs, new oil filter and oil. Then I installed the engine, before I hooked everything back up I checked the compression, I now have 125 PSI on both sides. I bolted it all in, put new plugs in it and it fired right up. Runs awesome, no noises or vibrations. I have a bout 90.00 in the repair. Tomorrow I will put the hood, side shields, and belly screen back on. The yard needs mowed so I figure what better test, I am going to mount the deck and power flow bagger and test er out.

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
Onans sound really good after a rebuild,you did good.

·
Super Moderator
33,699 Posts
Tony, glad to hear it wasn't a major meltdown! Fortunately whoever it happened to must've shut it down pretty quick!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Good job! Hope your 317 doesn't get lonely!:fing32:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts